Make your own hang markers

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I hear you - my 65 yr old eyes certainly aren't getting better either. What I found after adding these was that I'd feel the 25 ft mark on my fingertip as I was retrieving the line, which would be a reminder to focus on the line at the other markers. Hopefully I don't lose feeling in my fingers next! Colors that give maximum contrast with the black coating on the sinking line are obviously the best. Sunshine affects the visibility just like with indicators.

Interesting how sense of feel compensates for reductions in other senses. I was joking last week with a friend that I appreciate the bass in music a lot more now because at least I can still feel the vibration from bass instruments, even is the highnotes are fading!!

View attachment 5930
My hands and fingers get cold easily so I do lose feeling in my fingers. To help, I wear 7 mil nitrile gloves. I wondered about feeling the markers you describe, but they look substantial with all the "varnish" (I got a kick out of the Brit calling Sally's "varnish").

Thanks.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My hands and fingers get cold easily so I do lose feeling in my fingers. To help, I wear 7 mil nitrile gloves. I wondered about feeling the markers you describe, but they look substantial with all the "varnish" (I got a kick out of the Brit calling Sally's "varnish").

Thanks.
I used some embroidery floss I had around and rather than the "varnish", I used a thin coat of UV epoxy which I find to be softer and more pliable. No noise or feeling going through the guides during casting since all but the 25 ft marker are outside the guides for my casting. I find that even with gloves in the Spring/Fall I get some "feedback" from the markers.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I had a couple of light colored lines and I used a water proof felt black pen at 25' and 50'. Worked very good. It stayed on good until I shit canned the lines.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
This YouTube video shows how to whip finish onto the line.

I use fixed markers at 10, 15, 20 & 25 feet on my Type 5 and Type 7 full sink lines. A single orange at 10 ft; single white at 15 ft; two orange at 20 ft; two white at 25 ft. I make the markers with two layers of thread, 1/2 to 3/4 in long and covered them with UV epoxy.

I then use one of my guides in conjunction with one of the markers as a reference point. Since the markers were 5 ft apart, there is always 1 marker somewhere in the guides of my 9 ft rod. I find that the fixed markers really helped improved the consistency of my casting the full sinking lines for trolling as well since I can always cast with the same amount of line out the end of the rod.

Ken
We used to whip finish dental floss on our 80 wides big game trolling rigs in Hawaii when I had my center console inside a warehouse with all the rods in the holders...it made it easy to deploy all the lures at the right distance from the transom...I would imagine that it would work on fly line as well...

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We used to whip finish dental floss on our 80 wides big game trolling rigs in Hawaii when I had my center console inside a warehouse with all the rods in the holders...it made it easy to deploy all the lures at the right distance from the transom...I would imagine that it would work on fly line as well...
Dental floss would be a great idea. If you use the waxed variety, you can get a nice smooth surface by heating the finished marker with a hair dryer and rubbing warm wax smooth with your fingers.

Last edited:

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Dental floss would be a great idea. I you used the waxed variety, you can get a nice smooth surface by heating the finished marker with a hair dryer and rubbing warm wax smooth with your fingers.
Maybe I should have tried waxed dental floss:
IMG_0714.jpg
I must have nicked this Airflo SixthSense (type7) line with a hook point, so.....
IMG_0715.jpg

I decided to repair the line and make a hang marker. At first, I tried UTC 210 denier thread. My finger and thumb tips are so rough that I scuffed the thread. I ended up suspending the line and used 6/0 Uni (hot orange). I coated the thread with two thin layers of UV resin.

I'm not going to show a picture of the finished project as it is unphotoworthy (one new word), but the repair is done, and I think it will work just fine.

Lots of great ideas for hang markers, much appreciated!

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Aw, come on Show us your repair work. We want to see how it's done. What I would of done was shit can that line and buy a new one. Or cut it up and make a few sink tips out of it.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Aw, come on Show us your repair work. We want to see how it's done. What I would of done was shit can that line and buy a new one. Or cut it up and make a few sink tips out of it.
Jim -
I reeled up the line (the repair was about 40-feet from the tip), uplocked the reel onto the rod I usually fish that line with, strung up the rod and knotted on a fly. Ready to go to the Columbia and try the repair out.

Snowed hard this morning.