Make your own hang markers

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I have two full sinkers that came with factory hang markers (Airflo Sixthsense type 7 and Cortland Competition Series type 3). My type 5 is a six-year-old Scientific Anglers, dark charcoal (or black) in color sans any hang markers. Suggestions?

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Several years ago I met a fly fisher who used Glo Brite floss in different colors. He wrapped about a 1/3 inch long on his line and then varnished them. I bet you can use head cement over the floss too.

Flybox1

Steelhead
dacron bobber stop (or some backing) and a little UV clear epoxy
just cut the tag-ends off real close.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Since it is sinker and likely a dark color, how about using a drop of white Rite dye to make the markers?
Maybe tape off both sides of the area you want to mark? Just a guess suggestion on my part as I've never done it myself. ;)
SF

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Never used one, but I imagine barrel knots like I tie on my nymphing leaders, tied with backing (clip the tags), would work well and be semi-adjustable.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pat, I did this a couple of years ago on a Type IV sinker using acrylic paint. I stretched out my Cortland line with the factory markers and put markers on the Type IV line in the same locations. I just checked after a couple of years of use and the markers are still in good shape.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Thanks everyone! I have a couple great suggestions, a dinosaur suggestion or two, a couple that won't work when I can't see anything small (I had no idea Whiteout was still available, this old fart used a lot of it back in the typewriter era). ;-)

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This YouTube video shows how to whip finish onto the line.

I use fixed markers at 10, 15, 20 & 25 feet on my Type 5 and Type 7 full sink lines. A single orange at 10 ft; single white at 15 ft; two orange at 20 ft; two white at 25 ft. I make the markers with two layers of thread, 1/2 to 3/4 in long and covered them with UV epoxy.

I then use one of my guides in conjunction with one of the markers as a reference point. Since the markers were 5 ft apart, there is always 1 marker somewhere in the guides of my 9 ft rod. I find that the fixed markers really helped improved the consistency of my casting the full sinking lines for trolling as well since I can always cast with the same amount of line out the end of the rod.

Ken

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
This YouTube video shows how to whip finish onto the line.

I use fixed markers at 10, 15, 20 & 25 feet on my Type 5 and Type 7 full sink lines. A single orange at 10 ft; single white at 15 ft; two orange at 20 ft; two white at 25 ft. I make the markers with two layers of thread, 1/2 to 3/4 in long and covered them with UV epoxy.

I then use one of my guides in conjunction with one of the markers as a reference point. Since the markers were 5 ft apart, there is always 1 marker somewhere in the guides of my 9 ft rod. I find that the fixed markers really helped improved the consistency of my casting the full sinking lines for trolling as well since I can always cast with the same amount of line out the end of the rod.

Ken
I like your idea but damn, I can't see small things very well anymore. I fished my six-year-old Airflo SixthSense and new Cortland Competition full sinker today. The hang markers are long and visible - hard to miss. Maybe I need to pay more attention? ;-) I do like this idea you've shared.
Patrick

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I hear you - my 65 yr old eyes certainly aren't getting better either. What I found after adding these was that I'd feel the 25 ft mark on my fingertip as I was retrieving the line, which would be a reminder to focus on the line at the other markers. Hopefully I don't lose feeling in my fingers next! Colors that give maximum contrast with the black coating on the sinking line are obviously the best. Sunshine affects the visibility just like with indicators.

Interesting how sense of feel compensates for reductions in other senses. I was joking last week with a friend that I appreciate the bass in music a lot more now because at least I can still feel the vibration from bass instruments, even is the highnotes are fading!!

PXL_20220219_044122508.jpg

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Epoxied thread hang marks, rattling through rod guides on a cast, would be like fingernails on a blackboard.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fabric paint markers. A couple of inches mark for ten feet. Two of 'em for 20 feet. 3 for 30, and so on. If your 40-foot mark is halfway out towards the tip of your 9 foot rod you have….let me figure……9….minus 4…..carry the 6……divide by 11……. about 35 feet of fly line out, plus your leader.