Magnification

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
In further preparation to do more lake fishing thought I should have some scud patterns. It's been a little while since I tied down to #16 and it was an exercise in tying by feel. Just couldn't see the detail. So now I'm looking for magnification. I have used the Flip Focals on my fishing hat, but it is cumbersome at best. Trying to decide whether I want better wearable magnifiers or something that sits on my desk. I'm interested in what you guys with failing vision are using to tie smaller flies.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I just use 2.0 readers… so far…

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Buy them. That is what I do.

By the time you add up the money for a magnifier, materials, and hooks you can buy a lot of flies.
I already have 40 years' worth of hooks and materials. Just the old eyeballs going bad. Guess I could just only tie bass flies and big streamers.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
yep, to echo what RCF said, buy them...although, if you really enjoy tying little shit like that, magnifiers work fine. I actually have a set that I've never used. If you want to PM me your address, they're yours.

They're these ones:
1000011384.jpg

I do the same with small (well, most) dry flies simply because I don't have the patience to tie them myself...yet somehow, I can sit at the vise for 45 minutes to get a musky fly just perfect...

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
yep, to echo what RCF said, buy them...although, if you really enjoy tying little shit like that, magnifiers work fine. I actually have a set that I've never used. If you want to PM me your address, they're yours.

They're these ones:
View attachment 93210

I do the same with small (well, most) dry flies simply because I don't have the patience to tie them myself...yet somehow, I can sit at the vise for 45 minutes to get a musky fly just perfect...
Thanks, Clarkman! Really appreciate that. PM sent.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They still make OptiVisors and they sell for around $50. There are knockoff look alikes for around $25. I have a pair that is about 60 years old and still looks good despite seeing me through an entire career as an R & D tool maker and 40 years or more of fly tying. Light weight, well made and a helluva lot easier to use than one of those fixed in place magnifiers. And useful for so much more than a fixed unit!

Reactions: RCF

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

They're these ones:
View attachment 93210

This!
I use the same one and love it. It fits over my regular tri-focals and works great.
Mine came with two lenses in the goggle and I removed one allowing a little more room over my glasses. I have a size 8 noggin so that helped. I used it as is as well and it was ok too.
Normal people would get by just fine with the magnifier just fine imho.

Bagman

Steelhead
I buy magnifying glasses that I buy at the dollar store I’m up to 3X now and the cost is no longer a dollar even at the Dollar store they now cost me $1.25.

Otter

Steelhead
I have used the Flip Focals on my fishing hat, but it is cumbersome at best.
Thanks very much for that info, Steve. I've been considering clip-on flip lenses, as I try to navigate the world (in daily life, as well as fly tying and fishing) with badly deteriorating vision (distortion due to retina damage, plus double vision due to a problem with the muscles that control eye movement). What don't you like about the flips?

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Thanks very much for that info, Steve. I've been considering clip-on flip lenses, as I try to navigate the world (in daily life, as well as fly tying and fishing) with badly deteriorating vision (distortion due to retina damage, plus double vision due to a problem with the muscles that control eye movement). What don't you like about the flips?
They are never in the right orientation and have to put your head in awkward positions to look through them. That said, they do work in a pinch.

RCF

Life of the Party
If I am not careful I get 'seasick' with goggles. I still use a magnifier like Stonfo above but it seems to always get in the way.

Pick what works best for you...

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I still just use the hat magnifier for tying and rod wrapping. Might have to try that lumivisor

Otter

Steelhead
If I am not careful I get 'seasick' with goggles.
Sounds like me. Here's one for you, RCF: Try working on the plumbing under the sink. Lay on your back under the sink, looking this way and that while you're wrenching. That's one of the worst "seasick" vision things I've had. Apparently, I have issues with my balance structure in my middle ear (vestibular system), as well as issues with my vision. Those two systems love to gang up together. As my late mom used to say, "lotsa fun!"

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I just use cheap readers and throw them away went they become too scratched or dirty or both. Tried one of those fancy-dancy magnifiers that goes on the vise and although I could see well it completely altered my depth perception when trying to place materials. Perhaps I could have gotten used to it but that thing didn't last 30 minutes and the throw-away readers were back.