MA 9 days restriction

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Just noticed that MA 9 is only open Thursdays thru Saturdays for July. Bummer! Was that how it was last year?

Editing to make more clear - open starting July 13th.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I believe it was. I think they do that in an attempt to extend the Chinook quota out.
SF

Reactions: NRC

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
If they were so worried about the chinook quota they probably should have made sure that the MA9 regulations beginning in August were correct in the print copy of the regs. They left it open for chinook in August when it's supposed to be closed for chinook when it switches to 7 days a week. The fish wa app does list it as closed for chinook. I emailed WDFW, they said they are "aware of the discrepancy and working to put out an announcement".

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Our Puget Sound salmon seasons are shrinking away fast. Going, going, almost gone. Seems like just a few years ago we fished daily mid-July through end of October. The early MA10 salmon season is no consolation, those silvers need to grow another pound or two before being harvested.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
It was definitely they same last year. I remember getting home from out of town mid July last year excited to hit MA 9 that Sunday, only to be told by a member here about the Thursday - Saturday restriction. Booo….

Reactions: NRC

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
It was definitely they same last year. I remember getting home from out of town mid July last year excited to hit MA 9 that Sunday, only to be told by a member here about the Thursday - Saturday restriction. Booo….
Yeah I was planning up big plans for Sunday the 16th, glad I took a second look at the pamphlet. Sucks!

dep

Steelhead
yes, the regs for this year were challenging to decipher. I am seeing in the F&G reports that some kings were kept in areas 10 or 9 that I thought were closed. I am assuming they were not supposed to be kept, yet they were still tallied.
I will start salmon fishing next weekend and am bummed we can't fish on Sundays in areas 9 and 11.
Top choices for me will be Jeff Head or Lincoln Park for Sundays

johnnyboy

Steelhead
I wonder if the quota gets met before we shift to 7 days a week, if they would close fishing for all salmon or just close it for kings. Hopefully the quota lasts a while this year.

Next weekend I'll probably try to find an early pink. It would be nice to get into a few before the beaches become crowded later on. Had some luck first weekend of the season in 2021.

Theron

Keeper of the bees
I'm lucky being retired and living only 2 miles from a great Salmon beach. August isn't that far away and I haven't had a lot of luck early in the season anyway. I will be out on Thursday morning though. Negative tide should make for an interesting morning.

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Our Puget Sound salmon seasons are shrinking away fast. Going, going, almost gone. Seems like just a few years ago we fished daily mid-July through end of October. The early MA10 salmon season is no consolation, those silvers need to grow another pound or two before being harvested.
Golf is slowly creeping back onto the menu. Got me a sweet polo shirt last week printed with tiny salmon. Purchased as consolation after looking at the regs haha.