Lowcountry Reds

For the past five years, my family has celebrated Christmas on the South Carolina coast. This is an area that holds a lot of nostalgia for me as i went there each summer as a child. I didn’t really start fly fishing until after I left the area and moved out west so it’s been a dream of mine to catch a redfish on fly diy style. Each year I’ve taken my fly rod to try and hit an area with some dynamic frequently-storm-altered small tidal inlet and marsh creeks for a few hours hoping to get into some redfish or at least some sea trout or flounder. I never had any luck with the fly rod chalking it up to winter-time bad weather, poor timing and my inability to crack the code with limited time. I came this close to leaving my rod at home in Seattle this year, but have fished enough to know that the second I did that, the bite would be on. Well, I’m certainly glad I brought the rod this year as the stars finally aligned with beautiful mild sunny weather, fortuitous tides and some magnificent iridescent spotted tails. A Christmas miracle!IMG_8606.jpegIMG_8673.jpegIMG_8615.jpegIMG_8680.jpegIMG_8656.jpegIMG_8666.jpegIMG_8675.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
These were smaller fish in the 12”-24” range, not like those monsters down on the gulf coast, so not particularly hard. They do pull a bit, some small runs, but I was also over-gunned with an 8 weight so was able to muscle them in pretty easily. A 6-weight would’ve been more fun.
That looks like a blast, thanks for the photos. There are definitely some fish down there that’ll put plenty o’ bendo in the ol’ 8 wt. Keep at it and you will eventually find one.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
After guiding for reds and a lot of fishing for them myself, catching redfish, to me, is not their major draw. Once hooked they all do about the same thing proportionate to their size. The big ones pull pretty hard, the smaller ones less so. But it sure is enjoyable trying to hook them. They live in really neat places, are great fun to hunt for, are often willing to reveal their presence by sticking body parts out of the water and the casting is challenging and rewarding. Plus they tend to be considerably more forgiving than other shallow saltwater quarry and they sure can look like adorable goofballs especially when trying repeatedly to eat a buoyant fly off the surface.

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
Well done. I got my first and still only trio of redfish several years ago during a DIY weekend on the SC coast. Sure wish I new about that fishery when I lived in Greenville in the mid 90s.

flybill

Life of the Party
I thought Redfish were more brown or red.. these look silver! Is it the diet, in the Gulf the ones I see caught are a different color. Or does that have to do with the size of the Redfish? Just curious, will probably Google it, but it could be a little different variety from the Gulf ones..

TIA!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I thought Redfish were more brown or red.. these look silver! Is it the diet, in the Gulf the ones I see caught are a different color. Or does that have to do with the size of the Redfish? Just curious, will probably Google it, but it could be a little different variety from the Gulf ones..

TIA!
Diet plays a part, as does the environment they occupy while going through their various growth stages. Once they migrate to the GoM they tend to be more bronze. And yes they are tasty. Paul Prudhomme, the chef from NO damn near made them extinct due to the popularity of his “Blackened Redfish” back in the 90s. We have a slot limit here in NC, currently 18/27 and 1 per day. In my avatar is a typical late winter (here) end Jan/March fish. In the late summer prior to migration we get fairly sizeable Drum (Reds) here, upwards into the 50# - 60# range tho not as frequent as the “old days.” Moderate pullage but definitely not oceanic speedsters.

WildBrookie

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Diet plays a part, as does the environment they occupy while going through their various growth stages. Once they migrate to the GoM they tend to be more bronze. And yes they are tasty. Paul Prudhomme, the chef from NO damn near made them extinct due to the popularity of his “Blackened Redfish” back in the 90s. We have a slot limit here in NC, currently 18/27 and 1 per day. In my avatar is a typical late winter (here) end Jan/March fish. In the late summer prior to migration we get fairly sizeable Drum (Reds) here, upwards into the 50# - 60# range tho not as frequent as the “old days.” Moderate pullage but definitely not oceanic speedsters.
When you say migration, do you mean from inshore to offshore, or maybe I should say nearshore? I’ve seen pics of those larger fish you mention but they always seem to be from deeper water or in the surf. Do those larger fish make it back into the marsh?

Last edited:

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When you say migration, do you mean from inshore to offshore, or maybe I should say nearshore? I’ve seen pics of those larger fish you mention but they always seem to be from deeper water or in the surf. Do those larger fish make it back into the marsh?
Our Redfish/Drum start to migrate toward the GOM at sexual maturity. Post spawning in the early fall the colder weather pushes them south. The puppy drum we have here stay pretty much in the marshes or venture out to the shoals during the fall bait migrations. Once they’ve reached the point of “having to shave” 😉 off they go with schools of Old Drum, southbound. Prior to Ophelier this year the big guys were thick from the Chesapeake to SC. Same fish here as in La, only their accents change.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
There is something special about redfish. There are a lot of fish that excite me but I spend an unhealthy amount of time daydreaming about reds. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the fish, figuring out a new fishery while on a family trip is not an easy feat.

damppdogg

Freshly Spawned
For the past five years, my family has celebrated Christmas on the South Carolina coast. This is an area that holds a lot of nostalgia for me as i went there each summer as a child. I didn’t really start fly fishing until after I left the area and moved out west so it’s been a dream of mine to catch a redfish on fly diy style. Each year I’ve taken my fly rod to try and hit an area with some dynamic frequently-storm-altered small tidal inlet and marsh creeks for a few hours hoping to get into some redfish or at least some sea trout or flounder. I never had any luck with the fly rod chalking it up to winter-time bad weather, poor timing and my inability to crack the code with limited time. I came this close to leaving my rod at home in Seattle this year, but have fished enough to know that the second I did that, the bite would be on. Well, I’m certainly glad I brought the rod this year as the stars finally aligned with beautiful mild sunny weather, fortuitous tides and some magnificent iridescent spotted tails. A Christmas miracle!View attachment 96521View attachment 96522View attachment 96523View attachment 96524View attachment 96525View attachment 96519View attachment 96528
Your photos brought back some fond memories, I had a house not to far out of town (Beaufort) the low country is a special place. Love those winter low and high tides. The fishing was always hit or miss in the winter mudding fish equals big smile. Only thing missing from you pics is live oaks, but then were not talking about bird watching. Happy New Year. damppdogg