LOUD OUTDOOR AUDIO

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I fly fish for many reasons, one reason being I like to hear nature: birds calling and the sound of birds flying, diving, swooping, gulps and sips of rising fish, rustle of leaves in the breeze, gentle lapping of waves agains the shoreline, hearing an otter woof at me, coyotes yipping in the distance. Natures sounds are one of those driving forces that seems to settle me, I find it peaceful.

This morning, one of the fly shops I "subscribed" to posted this as available. They advertise it as LOUD - OUTDOOR - AUDIO. Are you kidding me?

1711807167590.png

Rant over.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The guy sitting over there in the background is thinking about how to execute a boom box 'accident' that sends it to the bottom....or getting a different girlfriend....maybe both.

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yuk. On the Columbia River, you can always tell when the Ranch and Home boat is coming by their loudspeakers. I wonder if they catch any fish.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I just figure it identified those people I don't want to fish with or be around. With all the current technology and quality earbuds a "boom box" isn't needed. Many will claim they have the "right" to do what they want and enjoy fishing how they want. Just selfish.

Rant done

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I fly fish for many reasons, one reason being I like to hear nature: birds calling and the sound of birds flying, diving, swooping, gulps and sips of rising fish, rustle of leaves in the breeze, gentle lapping of waves agains the shoreline, hearing an otter woof at me, coyotes yipping in the distance. Natures sounds are one of those driving forces that seems to settle me, I find it peaceful.

This morning, one of the fly shops I "subscribed" to posted this as available. They advertise it as LOUD - OUTDOOR - AUDIO. Are you kidding me?

View attachment 108746

Rant over.

If a person needs anything other than nature and their legit fishing equipment to enjoy being out on a river then we'll, they don't enjoy fishing that much.. there are three acceptable loud fishing noises. Possibly four.

1. An outboard motor
2. A drift boat hitting a rock
3. Hollering cause you caught a nice fish.. though base behavior it is acceptable
4. I'm so full of crap a don't even remember what number four is.. ohh I remember.. a Hardy reel.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
You boomers (boomers +?) just dont get it, which is ironic considering it's basically y'alls box. How are you about to drift a bead off the side of a boat all day without some Limp Bizkit or Migos blasting? Do you even know how to live?

How are they supposed to sync up their tiktoks if they dont have the tunes to dance too? How will the rest of the river know the real fish slayers are coming down without hearing my blaring EDM?

Get with it Olds.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Technology kinda' runs in cycles. The first radios were big pieces of furniture that had to be plugged into an electric wall socket and couldn't be taken anywhere. Then came the battery powered tiny transistor radio of the 60s that Booomers carried with them to the beach to listen to KJR and rock music tunes. The noise didn't carry very far, and they also came with a mono ear bud for private listened. The technology went the other direction in the 80s and produced huge battery powered boom boxes that Gen Xers struggled to carry on their shoulders but could "share" their ungodly rap un-music with unappreciative Boomers. Then in the 90s technology miniaturized again with ipods and cell phones that stored music, and they had (have) ear buds so that the listener doesn't impose his or her whatever passes for music with another unappreciative audience. Then Bluetooth changed that so that music from one's cell phone can be bounced to this generations mega boom box. And so many louts are sufficiently lacking in situational awareness that they think they're being nice by sharing their taste in music or noise with everyone within a quarter mile. I think the legal limit on those things is two a day and none in possession.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
last early fall a handful of us were enjoying a really good day on Crane Pairie when we hear an absolute blasting stereo coming from across the lake...three guys in a large tin boat blasting rap, drinking beer, slow trolling...didn't matter where they went on the lake, could hear it a mile away, and few things lamer than white guys blasting ghetto rap.
I reeled up and headed home.

Shad

Life of the Party
Don't tell my brother-in-law about this. He's one of those guys who loves to blast the music on the water; not so loud that it hurts, but pretty close. I sort of enjoy it... for about an hour. After that, I want to bask in silence, occasionally interrupted by the sounds of singing birds, or especially moving fish, but instead, the relentless assault on my senses (and those of everyone within 100 yards or so) continues. I enjoy fishing with him for the most part (he's a good dude and has access to boats that put us in a lot of cool places), but by the end, I am always ready to get off the water, no matter how good the fishing was.

Music is almost always appreciated, provided the volume is controlled, but when I'm on the water, I really want to be hearing the music of nature.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don't give a shit what others do to enjoy their hard earned free time.