Lost at Pass Lake or Rocky Ford Creek

dbm65

Freshly Spawned
Hi - I lost/misplaced a box of streamers on Feb 25th at Pass Lake or March 8th-9th at Rocky Ford Creek. The fly box contained fresh and salt water trout streamers. If found, its return would be much appreciated. I will also post on other websites. Thank you.

marleydb@yahoo.com

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any chance you had your name and phone number on the box?

When someone finds a box of really nice pre-tied flies, they should thank the person when they catch a fish. It's part of the appreciation and giving credit due.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
You might still have it, don't rule that out.

Otherwise, what Peyton said, I used to find a lot of gear and flies at Pass. Never once w/ owner info - I'm guilty of that myself. Some of it returned thru wff, but as a habitual "gear finder" I'd have a lot easier time returning if I knew right away who it belonged to. I'd say 3/4 of it went to proud new owners.

Hopefully your streamers turn up, that's never fun!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have been preaching for years to have people put their contact information on all of their fly boxes. There is enough down time in winter that a person should be able to use a few minutes of it to label your boxes. Most don't. Like Tim, I have found flies and gear along the river or at a lake that took a long time to acquire/tie and were lost forever for lack of taking the time it takes to tie one fly to insure it's return.

We need a day-probably in January-called "Label Your Fly Box Day" -where we remind each other of the importance of doing this and dedicate some time to getting it done. Maybe call it Fly Box Friday or something. Anything to break up the winter doldrums and perhaps head off some grief later.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The address labels I get for envelopes from TU I also put on all my fly boxes. It's way too easy to take a box out of a vest pocket looking to change a fly during a hatch and put the box down on the ground in your excitement to go catch those rising fish. An old fishing magazine article by Ted Trueblood told how he lost more than a few jackknives by putting them down while at streamside and not back in a pocket. He made a point after awhile to change a bad habit into a good one. I paid heed.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I have been preaching for years to have people put their contact information on all of their fly boxes. There is enough down time in winter that a person should be able to use a few minutes of it to label your boxes. Most don't. Like Tim, I have found flies and gear along the river or at a lake that took a long time to acquire/tie and were lost forever for lack of taking the time it takes to tie one fly to insure it's return.

We need a day-probably in January-called "Label Your Fly Box Day" -where we remind each other of the importance of doing this and dedicate some time to getting it done. Maybe call it Fly Box Friday or something. Anything to break up the winter doldrums and perhaps head off some grief later.
I use a cheap metal engraver to mark my name and phone number on the outside of all my plastic flyboxes. Permanent and very easy.

That being said, when I tie flies (usually in batches of 10 of a single pattern) at least three of them go into 'backup' flyboxes, because there's a pretty good chance that a lost flybox won't get returned (or it's at the bottom of a lake*), and there's pretty much no worse feeling losing a big chunk of your fly arsenal and frantically having to tie-up a shitload of flies in the middle of fishing season. Tying flies under such duress is way too much like work.

At this point in my life I don't tie a large variety of patterns but instead focus on having plenty of what works on hand.

And if I never lose them my flyfishing grandson is going to end up with a good collection of stillwater flies.

* I switched away from floating flyboxes...they're far too big for my purposes.

Last edited: