Los Barriles-DIY Trip

Lefty

Freshly Spawned
Hello All,

I'm working on a DIY trip to Baja and specifically Los Barriles later this year. Thinking Early July. I found a rental place on the beach but I'm hoping folks on this forum might have some advice or recommendations for guides, pangas, ATV's, beaches etc. I'm thinking wed like 2-3 days guided on a Panga, and 2-3 days fishing from the beach.

I'd appreciate if anyone has guide recommendations, or past experience they would be willing to share.

Same goes for restaurants, bars, and places to see.

Cheers,

Morgan

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Damn, sounds like a blast. I'll be following though. Last year and this year a buddy and I are doing Loreto.

Waterman

Just Hatched
Call Patti at Hotel Pescadores. Tell her Larry Wasserman sent you. Lavo is her guide and is great
Best tacos at El Viejo in town

afried

Smolt
Was recently there, just a one night non-fishing visit. A terrific catch of the day grilled fish dinner at Smokey’s. Not much else I can say other than I liked the locale and hope I get there again, maybe even with a bit of fishing as well.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hello All,

I'm working on a DIY trip to Baja and specifically Los Barriles later this year.
The owner of a fly shop in Bend is currently down there for a month, primarily beach fishes, an ATV comes with his rental. Said he flings 10 wts.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
No advice, but looking forward to your report. We're going to do some DIY from the beach in May, so may have a report before you go.

rotato

Steelhead
El pirata is delicious if a bit mesquitey
We go with Trino jr out of la ribera
Walk north from town and fish the big rocks up there for some mixed species fun
South of town is sandy and more roosty with others mixed in
Actually caught a bonefish down there
Have a great time

Lefty

Freshly Spawned
Folks, Thanks for both the Food and fishing feedback. While this trip is a ways out, I'm the sort that like get logistics sorted out well in advance. Still not sure how the DIY aspect of this trip will pan out with respect to fishing success and costs. But then again, I'll be in MX, sippin Cerveza, fishing, and not working. Pretty sure that's a win even before I leave.

Food and guide and beach recommendations are still greatly appreciated.

Morgan

The Fish Whisperer

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Hello All,

I'm working on a DIY trip to Baja and specifically Los Barriles later this year. Thinking Early July. I found a rental place on the beach but I'm hoping folks on this forum might have some advice or recommendations for guides, pangas, ATV's, beaches etc. I'm thinking wed like 2-3 days guided on a Panga, and 2-3 days fishing from the beach.

I'd appreciate if anyone has guide recommendations, or past experience they would be willing to share.

Same goes for restaurants, bars, and places to see.

Cheers,

Morgan
I have fished there twice with Baja Flyfishing Company and Mike Reiser.Tons of experience down there and a great guy to fish with. Both times in October. Not prime time for Roosters or Dorado, but they were still around. Lots of billfish on the 2nd time down there with a 125 LB Striped Marlin to the boat. We stayed at the Los Palmas Hotel. Good restaurant there as well. The sports bar in town had awesome and fresh grilled tuna tacos. Lots of places in town to eat. ATV rental is on the main drag coming going down the hill through town. Good people. We rented one and drove down to Los Pescaderos Hotel north of town and had lunch and checked out the waterfalls way up the arroyo.

Ask away if you need more info.