Loretto, Mexico

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
We have an opportunity to visit Loretto in November. I've never been there, but heard that there may be some good fishing to be had. Any info you might care to share would be appreciated. Instead of staying in town, we have a chance to stay at a resort 8 mi south of town for crazy cheap - $99. It's a near freebie Mrs. Salmo's timeshare occasionally throws to us, like we once got to stay at a fancy place in Park City, UT for that price. What we don't know is if we'll be so isolated at this place that we'd end up staying there for all our meals, etc. It has restaurants on site. But I get the feeling that places like this are so like being in the US that you don't experience Mexico. At least that's what I experienced in Cancun's hotel zone. If it's better to be in town, we can do a regular timeshare exchange, but not as cheap. So help learn me 'bout Loretto, please.

Sg

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks pretty inviting to me!

Hem

Life of the Party
Last trip to Baja we flew in to Loreta. Stayed at a great hotel downtown. But our true destination was North near Mulege. Not much for fishing up there but the paddleboarding was world class.
I would go back to Loreta to fish. Very chill area without the ugly tourist shit(Cabo). Did have to pass through a military checkpoint...

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
I've been to Loreto a lot, 9 week long trips a week each, but all in the mid summer. I was told by others (guides/locals) that the winters are pretty windy. One is lucky to get one day out of three to fish. This was also some time ago, early 2000"s.
The new resort is pretty nice, it was under construction when I visited there. We stayed in town at the Oasis Hotel. I was with the Fishabout group each time.
Loreto is a medium sized town, quaint and pleasant. Good connections via Alaska Air.
We fly fished only and a 12wt was standard. Summer was Dorado, Sails, Marlin, Roosters and various tuna, winter I don't know.

I see Fishabout is still in business: https://www.fishabout.com/adventure/hotel-oasis-loreto-baja-mexico/

More things come back to memory. Anil (Puget Sound Fly) used to take groups down there. He may/probably has some contacts left and can provide you with more info.

Last edited:
Les Johnson used to go down there a long time ago well before he died. He may have been close to "discovering" it. He was always trying to get me to come down with him. He loved the dorado fishing. It was always during the summer months when they would fish very early in the morning and then sleep all day . . .

Leland.

gpt

Smolt
we used to make an annual trip down to Loretto but at the end of July, beginning of August. for several trips we stayed right on the beach near downtown. but two trips we stayed at the hotel you are speaking about. i have no idea what the fishing might be like in our winter months. it takes quite a long time for the Sea of Cortez to warm up and draw the bait fish. a few phone calls should help clarify what to expect if you are interested in fishing during your stay.