Looking for info on a DIY trip to Chile

A few years back, my wife embarked on a biking adventure in Chile with one of her friends. Now it's my turn to explore. I have both the financial means and the time to go, but I'm not interested in luxurious accommodations or fancy dining. I'm perfectly content with camping and enjoying simple meals like tortillas and beans for three weeks. I envision a trip that involves driving to different areas, camping, and fishing for a few days before moving on to the next spot. Along the way, I might rent a room to freshen up and treat myself to a dinner at a local restaurant.

Ideally, I would prefer to fly into a location that serves as a central hub for accessing various fishing environments such as rivers, lakes, spring creeks, and more. I'm truly excited about experiencing different biomes in Chile, ranging from arid scrublands to lush rainforests.

I would also love to bring my water master boats with me, and perhaps even embark on multi-day float trips.

Now, onto some logistical questions:

1. How difficult is it to purchase a vehicle and sell it once I'm finished?
  2. Do lodges or guides offer shuttle services for day trips or multi-day excursions?
  3. You know I'm bringing cameras, how hard is it to charge down there?
If you have any additional advice or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m thinking about Chile in the future…however, Chile just made the list of US travel advisory not to visit…

I stand corrected…it is a level 2 advisory for increased caution…

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
You should check out this book. While it’s not going to answer your questions, it’s all about the authors DIY experience in Patagonia. I found it enjoyable.

www.patagonia.com

Chasing Rumor: A Season Fly Fishing in Patagonia by Cameron Chambers paperback book

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
In prepping for my trip to Patagonia (last month) angling-oriented books I read included:

PATAGONIA, Angler Walkabout Series - book 2 (book 1 is about Africa), by Julian Wicksteed, 2014

Argentine Trout Fishing, a flyfisherman's guide to Patagonia, William C. Leitch, 1991 (so a bit dated)

Compared to other destinations, there's not many books written - in English - about fishing Patagonia.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I haven't been to Chile, but traveled all over the world. So I can't offer any direct help. But I use a combo of Google, Google maps and trip advisor. Between the three, if you look hard enough, it's all there.
I book accommodations and travel methods ahead, and if a guide service is needed, maybe that ahead of time.

I find that just booking the basics, then figuring out the rest while there is easier and nets better results. Never been to a place where locals didn't give me awesome recommendations.
Camping might make this method a little tougher though....

Google what plug in Chile uses, and bring the converter thing. I just keep a stash of every plug in known to man around.
I also have a huge stash of mobile chargers. Charge 4 or 5 of those when you have electricity, and you can charge your devices for a long time. Used while in the Amazon and other remote areas with great sucess.
Like this:
Amazon product ASIN B0BBVD14S3

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I haven't been to Chile, but traveled all over the world. So I can't offer any direct help. But I use a combo of Google, Google maps and trip advisor. Between the three, if you look hard enough, it's all there.
I book accommodations and travel methods ahead, and if a guide service is needed, maybe that ahead of time.

I find that just booking the basics, then figuring out the rest while there is easier and nets better results. Never been to a place where locals didn't give me awesome recommendations.

Google what plug in Chile uses, and bring the converter thing. I just keep a stash of every plug in known to man around.
I also have a huge stash of mobile chargers. Charge 4 or 5 of those when you have electricity, and you can charge your devices for a long time. Used while in the Amazon and other remote areas with great sucess.
Like this:
I also carry multiple mobile chargers everywhere, even in the states…good advice

In prepping for my trip to Patagonia (last month) angling-oriented books I read included:

PATAGONIA, Angler Walkabout Series - book 2 (book 1 is about Africa), by Julian Wicksteed, 2014

Argentine Trout Fishing, a flyfisherman's guide to Patagonia, William C. Leitch, 1991 (so a bit dated)

Compared to other destinations, there's not many books written - in English - about fishing Patagonia.
Thank you will pick these up!

Like this:
good travel tips! Thank you!