locking boat to trailer and trailer to car

Zak

Legend
Hi All,

I'm going on a fishing trip next week and will be bringing my rowing dory on a trailer behind my Forester. For one of the days, I'll be wading a river away from my car. I'm a little worried that some miscreant could just hook my trailer up to their tow hitch and take off with it. Or loosen the ratchet straps holding the boat to the trailer and take off with the boat.

What is the best way to secure the boat and trailer? I'm guessing drift boat folks would know (but my boat, unlike a drift boat, can pretty easily be picked up by one person).

Thanks!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Those Turnart Trailer hitch locks are easily defeated in like 5 seconds, seen a ton of vids on those.

But all locks are for honest people!
Haven't had an issue yet, but have been asked where I got it.
To OP; it doesn't have to be exactly that make and model. There are others on the market that are better. It's just what I was able to grab.

What I want to see, is how you keep the whole rig locked down together

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
I think I want a locking pin, a simple padlock on the lever that latches onto the ball, and a cable lock around a seat in the boat. There aren't really any good places to attach the cable lock to the boat.

Or, trust in the goodness of man. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Zak

Legend
The locking pin and latch would ease my mind. I'm most worried about someone just popping my trailer onto their truck and driving off while I'm in the river. Loading up the boat would be more time consuming and less easy.

RCF

Life of the Party
Have a visible camera recording everything might help... Motion activated with monitoring and phone notification could also help.

Zak

Legend
Have a visible camera recording everything might help... Motion activated with monitoring and phone notification could also help.
Yeah that's not going to happen! Maybe a vicious dog. Or maybe I'll do my old trick of leaving a twelve pack of Bud on the hood and they be satisfied with that.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Vehicle, Boat, Trailer….

IMG_1852.jpeg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
let's face it, locks just keep the 'convienance' thiefs at bay. The pros, the ones equipped with 18V side grinders with metal cutting discs? If they want it, their getting it.