LMQ

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I guess I really must be bored with this weather……spent a little time in my cold shop looking at bamboo. Nothing motivates me right now…..there was a 6’ thin tip section from Dennis’s culms…..hmmmmm?? Not wanting to put much time or effort I thought LMQ! Lazy Man’s Quad….single strip….. period! Boy is it whippy, funky to wrap, but done in one day. It bends past the cork…not parabolic but parabullshit!!? We‘ll see if it makes it to a lake…..I swear a little bluegill will double it over!

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
The Threadmaster epoxy is almost cured….I’ll take some pictures soon. Really curious to lawn cast it…..I’ll have to try several different line weights.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Any bets on whether this thing is going cast or not? No loss if it doesn’t…..spare parts and retired time involved.

Mike Ediger

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This is cool! My daughters first fly rod was the top section of a 8' 4wt 2pc graphite rod, and built with all components I just had laying around. It was actually kind of fun to play with, and I didn't worry about her breaking it. I think it is still out in the garage somewhere.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Did you use the tip culm for the whole rod? You probably have a sweet 2-3 wght. I almost spit my beer up with the parabullshit taper strong work with you builds. I love how you have fun with building what you want and experimenting with the results. Keep it up my friend as I‘m doing similar thing with my rod building.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Except yours are real bamboo rods Dennis! I’m a bored Frankenrod builder……but yes having fun! I used the single thin strip, a real one piece rod.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Not really sure what I’m learning here RCF……other than filling some time and not watching tv! But if it actually works, maybe I’ll patent it as the “Really Ugly Bamboo Stick!”

Reactions: RCF

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Well as Gomer Pyle once said, “Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!” This rod can actually cast 45’-50’ by sloooowing down my stroke. The second reel/line worked better, It’s a 4 wt Sylk on a 1492 Pflueger. That makes me more confident that hopefully some winter midge emerger action! Stockers in late April should be a blast! ”WTF” on the rod means “Where’s The Fish” or ???!IMG_3662.jpegIMG_3661.jpegIMG_3660.jpeg

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Well darn…..missed two trout on an emerger. I really wanted to experience the bend of this noodle with a trout on the other end! Next time…..hopefully tomorrow.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Casting the weight of the wet line the rod felt like it would twist and roll….next time if there’s a next time I’ll add a 18” second strip on the butt section to stiffen it up……