Livingston 10’ turned into a Dogfish

Msaville

Tackle Tart
Forum Supporter
I’m considering getting a 10’ Livingston and electric motor. Any advice? Will it work for a couple of fly fishers on the hefty size?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I've fished out of one a few times with one other person. A 12 footer. They are excellent seaworthy, durable boats.
That said, I don't thing I'd ever buy one especially for fly fishing. The design of them with the raised floor running down the middle just takes up too much fishing space for my liking.
I'm a bigger guy as well and just felt wedged in by the design as far as being able to move around comfortably in the boat. Good luck with your search.
SF

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I fish out of one a lot in the north sound.
A few things to consider:
  • There is no great place to store your gear. Anything you put down on either side will get wet, gas on it, etc. You could try and make a rack for way up front, but everything up high eventually falls down on to one side or the other (and gets wet). I carry all my gear in dry bags when i'm in the livi.
  • Because there's no great place for storing gear, line management is a pain in the ass if you don't bring a stripping basket. Line frequently gets caught on whatever gear you have laying around.
  • They are heavy, but pretty stable for a 10'.
I use it chase SRC/Coho solo, but also to grab crab pots. When I get the pots I bring the kids with me sometimes and even an 8 year old plus me plus outboard feels cramped and over loaded.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had a 7' that I wish I had never sold, but yes, they are heavy.
And as Long_Rod says you have to account for the cat design. I had carpeted boards in each hull so I didn't get my stuff wet and really no issues with line management. And then I could stand easier as well. No Livingston foot cramps. :LOL:
And it better be a big thrust electric because, as mentioned...they are tanks. I was able to put my 7' on top of my Trooper since the rear top roof rack was very close to the back edge on those vehicles, but I was also 20 years younger. Not sure I would want to try that now. The one I had would fit nicely in the back of a truck as well.
I do miss having a small stable boat that I could stand in and easily drift with the wind. 2wt drifting is pretty damn fun on stockers. My 14' Valco is a bit of a pain in the wind with just me in it so not the same experience.

If you have a deal on it and have a full size truck or it comes with a trailer it's worth it. If not, there's better solutions for fly fishing out there.

RCF

Life of the Party
I have owned a 10' Livingston for over 15 years.

Built like a tank - takes all kinds of abuse but keeps going.
Heavy like a tank - takes 2 to get it off a trailer or out of a P/U bed and launch.
Stable like a tank - I bet if you stood on the gunnel it would not tip over. Have had 2 larger adults and 2 teenagers in it - no issues
Uncomfortable like a tank - dang center makes it hard to turn around especially when one gets older.
Roomy like a tank - where to put gear is an issue.
Wind and a tank - tracks well until wind is ~10mph. Then not so much fun. Probably better than other similar sized boats.
Casting in a tank - can stand up easily due to stability. As others have said - line gets hung up due to lack of room.
Sinks like a tank - NO. due to built-in floatation cells, fill it with water and still floats.
Powering a tank - I use a MK 30. On level 1 wish I could go a little slower when trolling. On level 5 scoots right along but can't wake board.
Longevity of a tank - Mine is 30+ years old. Wish it would die so I can get something else. No luck...
Water and a tank - never have had water splash into it - and I have tried.

You can sell it in 15 years for what you paid for it - if bought used.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have owned a 10' Livingston for over 15 years.

Built like a tank - takes all kinds of abuse but keeps going.
Heavy like a tank - takes 2 to get it off a trailer or out of a P/U bed and launch.
Stable like a tank - I bet if you stood on the gunnel it would not tip over. Have had 2 larger adults and 2 teenagers in it - no issues
Uncomfortable like a tank - dang center makes it hard to turn around especially when one gets older.
Roomy like a tank - where to put gear is an issue.
Wind and a tank - tracks well until wind is ~10mph. Then not so much fun. Probably better than other similar sized boats.
Casting in a tank - can stand up easily due to stability. As others have said - line gets hung up due to lack of room.
Sinks like a tank - NO. due to built-in floatation cells, fill it with water and still floats.
Powering a tank - I use a MK 30. On level 1 wish I could go a little slower when trolling. On level 5 scoots right along but can't wake board.
Longevity of a tank - Mine is 30+ years old. Wish it would die so I can get something else. No luck...
Water and a tank - never have had water splash into it - and I have tried.

You can sell it in 15 years for what you paid for it - if bought used.
This is so right on! And yes, I sold mine for the same price, 10 years later, that I paid for it!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'll add on re: gear storage: there are some folks out there who modify their livingstons to create better storage. This guy hit a home run with his 14'er in my opinion. But I'd swap out the bow anchor for a trolling motor.
1646943562820.png

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
About 40 years ago I had a 14’ with a till steer 30 hp on it…great little one man spear fishing rig…even took it across the channel to Molokai from Hawaii Kai Oahu in it (yes I was a stupid teenager then)…

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
About 40 years ago I had a 14’ with a till steer 30 hp on it…great little one man spear fishing rig…even took it across the channel to Molokai from Hawaii Kai Oahu in it (yes I was a stupid teenager then)…
I’ve sailed back and forth across that channel several times in a 45’ schooner and yes, I would have to agree with your assessment . Glad you’re still with us:oops:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I had a 7' that I wish I had never sold, but yes, they are heavy.
And as Long_Rod says you have to account for the cat design. I had carpeted boards in each hull so I didn't get my stuff wet and really no issues with line management. And then I could stand easier as well. No Livingston foot cramps. :LOL:
And it better be a big thrust electric because, as mentioned...they are tanks. I was able to put my 7' on top of my Trooper since the rear top roof rack was very close to the back edge on those vehicles, but I was also 20 years younger. Not sure I would want to try that now. The one I had would fit nicely in the back of a truck as well.
I do miss having a small stable boat that I could stand in and easily drift with the wind. 2wt drifting is pretty damn fun on stockers. My 14' Valco is a bit of a pain in the wind with just me in it so not the same experience.

If you have a deal on it and have a full size truck or it comes with a trailer it's worth it. If not, there's better solutions for fly fishing out there.
Three of us used to hoist DK's Livingston (I think it was an 8 footer?) to the top of his truck's canopy. It was a tank and that was 25 years ago. We'd jump in that boat, tow our float tubes to the main lake, anchor up and slide into the float tubes. The lake we fished got pretty warm in July so we'd go sans waders and load the Livingston with beer; no waders - no shore breaks needed. The amazing thing about the boat, we could kick next to it in our tubes and crawl back into the Livingston: super stable. The keels took a heck of beating (duct tape for leak stoppage).

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
friend had one, finally got rid of it, as seaworthy as it was the center hump just ate up the dance floor,
Look for a Sterling SportCat, production stopped when the owner retired...they are a modified cat hull with a flat floor, highly stable and light...my 13' has a 68" beam, only weighs 260#, scoots with a 20hp and has plenty of room for three.

here's what the 10' looks like:
1646961562277.png

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
friend had one, finally got rid of it, as seaworthy as it was the center hump just ate up the dance floor,
Look for a Sterling SportCat, production stopped when the owner retired...they are a modified cat hull with a flat floor, highly stable and light...my 13' has a 68" beam, only weighs 260#, scoots with a 20hp and has plenty of room for three.

here's what the 10' looks like:
View attachment 8291

I like the Sterlings!

Also consider TruLine SportCat

Slightly different design is the Columbian. (whaler/cathedral hull design). I’ve seen some nice ones come for sale this year. 8,10 & 12’ boats I think

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I like the Sterlings!

Slightly different design is the Columbian. (whaler/cathedral hull design). I’ve seen some nice ones come for sale this year. 8,10 & 12’ boats I think
Sterling and Truline from the same molds...Talked to the builder a decade ago, who tried to sell his molds when he retired, no one was interested in continuing the line. And Columbians are great little hulls, pick them up on the way cheap, just need to make sure the transoms are solid.

Msaville

Tackle Tart
Forum Supporter
Thanks for all of the feedback. I wound up buying a new Dogfish Boat. I’m currently making a few modifications and will post some pictures when it’s completed.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I like the Sterlings!

Spent many days in a 12’ Columbian on Puget Sound. Fun boat to fish out of.
Unfortunately the one I fished out owned by a friend met it’s demise when the arsonist set the Pt Defiance boathouse on fire back in 84.
SF

Msaville

Tackle Tart
Forum Supporter
Search concluded. I chose to go the “single fisherman” route and as stated above I purchased a new Dogfish Boat and made a few minor additions to make it a little mor friendly to my old 76 year old frame. A set of launch wheels, leaning bar, anchor system, and rod holders were added for a start. Looking forward to some lake fishing for some trout, bass and scratching an itch for some musky. Thanks again for all of your comments.

Attachments

• 7FD98C36-21FD-4BDD-B202-B45A9FD71872.jpeg
    7FD98C36-21FD-4BDD-B202-B45A9FD71872.jpeg
    710 KB · Views: 56
  • E73E0072-4271-4882-8980-89E5BFA82928.jpeg
    E73E0072-4271-4882-8980-89E5BFA82928.jpeg
    655.4 KB · Views: 56
  • F379AAB0-C399-49DD-A975-400323DEABC5.jpeg
    F379AAB0-C399-49DD-A975-400323DEABC5.jpeg
    678.9 KB · Views: 56

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Search concluded. I chose to go the “single fisherman” route and as stated above I purchased a new Dogfish Boat and made a few minor additions to make it a little mor friendly to my old 76 year old frame. A set of launch wheels, leaning bar, anchor system, and rod holders were added for a start. Looking forward to some lake fishing for some trout, bass and scratching an itch for some musky. Thanks again for all of your comments.
What an interesting little boat! I've seen them featured in "Fishing with Ladin" but haven't ever seen one actually in use. It looks like a real fishing machine, nice setup!

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I had about four episodes of Fishing with Ladin on the DVR that I watched last weekend and kept seeing these boats. They do look like a great solution for lakes.