Little upfront but Im gonna ask

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey all. Happy Weekend. Enjoy it as Winter is returning in a few days.

So here goes. I want to learn how to flyfish for Carp. I live in Redmond, Oregon. Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction of a nearby ( 1 hour to 1.5 hour travel time) Carp Fishery? I know, I know..... sacrilegious but Im honestly desperate. PM me for discretion, if so desired.

Thanks for any and all input/knowledge.

Bob

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Ponds along the Columbia are full of them. But there should be some in shallows of the main river as well. But in the ponds you can walk the high banks, spot them and stalk them.. this is however theoretical on my part. I've seen them in there but I'd do anything to avoid touching a carp..

Divad

Whitefish
I think Central Oregon has done a good job eradicating carp from its fisheries. Probably still some in the Malheur Lake system(s), though historically they’ve been rotenoned. Not sure if you can legally target them or if a law exists you have to kill them if caught, wouldn’t be surprised if the latter existed for your area.

1676742862854.jpeg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yeah Rob Ive seen them there too. I've kept them in mind but I was hoping for a fishery a litle bit closer. Thanks tho.

@JACKspASS Id say thanks but not sure its warranted.

Be well.

Bob
To be honest, I don't think you're going to find too many. Seems like the majority of fisheries not directly adjacent to the Columbia have purged them pretty well. I don't think much of any Central OR lakes have any, and if there were some in the area, would probably be limited to some isolated ponds somewhere.

But... if you head directly north to the Columbia-way, you'll be dumped out in to an area that people drive from many hours away to carp fish.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I can't believe you are stooping this low and asking on a flyfishing bulletin board! /sarcasmfont...but let met know what you find out.

PS. JackSpaz I'm having Biff flashbacks