Lesson Learned

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I have used Maxima for some time now, both Ultra Green and Chameleon with no complaints.
A few years ago I tried fluorocarbon for trout with mixed results. It seemed that the knots were only good for 1 good fish, if I didn’t retie my fly it would break off on the next good one. I am now trouting for a stretch and thought I would try another brand of fluorocarbon that I have heard recommend…It knotted well, but it broke on the first good eat on a swung sculpin. 10” below the loop to tip - no sign of curl or stretch. It was 8# no way it should have broken, even wind knotted or nicked.

Back to 6# Maxima UG today, landed 3, a few LDRed… tie it on, fish it, forget about it.
063CE3A0-018A-47CC-A6DB-CD2A700F0281.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
What brand of fluorocarbon?

Haven’t ever had an issue with fluoro except for Berkley Vanish a long time ago and have never had to change a leader after catching a decent fish with it.
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Vanish always sucked and always will.

I'm surprised you had issue with Seaguar. I fish nearly exclusively fluoro and nearly exclusively with Seaguar with nary a problem.

When tying my knots, I always wet them, pull tight slowly, then test before fishing.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
This broke nowhere near a knot.
I always wet, slow pull to tighten, visually check that it’s seated, clip the tag, and then pull hard to test.
I suck at fluoro, Maxima is good to me.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I've had no particular problems with fluorocarbon but there is certainly nothing wrong with sticking with what works..

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Every time I have tried fluorocarbon over the years I have had issues with breakage. I keep going back to Ultragreen and plain Scientific Anglers tippet.

Last edited:

tkww

Steelhead
Fluoro can be very knot specific. But if you're having issue with breakage, it isn't the line. Quality fluoro is absolutely trustworthy. But as has been said, stick with what works for you!

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When streamer fishing I just use ultragreen because it's cheaper than fluoro and visibility doesn't matter that much.

I've used rio ff for years, and when nymphing I use 6x ff on deschutes redbands and haven't had a breakage issue. I do believe peoples fluoro stories though, it seems a lot more finicky than mono. I only use fluoro anymore for euro nymphing. Everything else is ultragreen.