Les Johnson's Fly-Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout

JodyRay

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hard cover signed edition of Les Johnson's Fly-Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout. Excellent like new condition. This was received in a donation, so I'd prefer the buyer make a donation to Project Healing Waters rather than paying me. I feel a donation of between $75 and $100 would be appropriate. Let me know if you're interested and we'll work out the details.

20231111_130503.jpg20231111_131652.jpg

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I guess that I should start a Les thread but I will add this here. I was fortunate to get to know Les from the Swallows Nest in Seattle back in the 90s. We hit it off and fished together some. He took me to Lenice and the pot holes just to poke around. I commented that it was a long way to go for fishing and Les quipped - 'that's why cars have wheels'! He was kind to me when I was just starting out FF and got me in to salty water fishing for silvers and cutthroat. He took another novice and I steelheading and kindly brought us both fly boxes stuffed with his hand tied flies. He was one of a kind. And yes his books are well written and full of great information. Miss that guy.....💕

flybill

Life of the Party
I guess that I should start a Les thread but I will add this here. I was fortunate to get to know Les from the Swallows Nest in Seattle back in the 90s. We hit it off and fished together some. He took me to Lenice and the pot holes just to poke around. I commented that it was a long way to go for fishing and Les quipped - 'that's why cars have wheels'! He was kind to me when I was just starting out FF and got me in to salty water fishing for silvers and cutthroat. He took another novice and I steelheading and kindly brought us both fly boxes stuffed with his hand tied flies. He was one of a kind. And yes his books are well written and full of great information. Miss that guy.....💕
I knew him too! His wife Carol is around and I see her once in a while. I never fished with Les unfortunately but hung out with him many times. I met him when he was sick.. miss the guy! Cheers!

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
A buddy any I took a PS beach seminar hosted by Les in the 90's as I recall it was one in the shop session going over all things beach and a session on the beach in action. He was great fun, informative, witty etc., then I moved to Bend for 20 years and didn't beach fish till now that I'm back in the Homeland.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I remember seeing him on the NW Flyfishing TV show with Pete Van Gytenbeek back in the 90s? Quite the pair. I saw them at a boat show one time...very nice gentlemen.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I remember seeing him on the NW Flyfishing TV show with Pete Van Gytenbeek back in the 90s? Quite the pair. I saw them at a boat show one time...very nice gentlemen.

You can watch that show on YouTube.
SF

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
SF

That was so Great! Really enjoyed seeing them all fish together on the river and in the salt. As a kid who grew up in the Smokey point area in the 70's the Stilly images also brought back alot of non - fishing memories, jumping off the Jordan Bridge, partying at Big Rock, etc. Wow, good stuff. Thanks!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I have one, not signed! Great book and better cause! Fish on! Sea run cutthroat that is.. with Lelands popper of course! LOL!
Good Book! My wife won (me) the same edition (unsigned) with a few raffle tickets at a FFI Fair raffle bundled with Cordes' & Kaufman's "Lake Fishing With A Fly" and a couple other books 🤠.
SF

What a coincidence that a (reverse hackle-spider) Takayama Sakasa Kebari (similar profile to the the Mike Kinney Reverse Spider from the book and in the opening shot) fished as a wet fly with a Tenkara rod using traditional manipulation (sasoi) techniques has been successful year-round for freshwater resident Cutthroat and for larger SRC in the fall at moderate CFS levels. 1700162059491.jpeg

The Reverse Spider with a pinkish orange body, natural Golden Pheasant) and a James Peach from the book have become a tossup for the first fly out of my beach box.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I remember meeting Les Johnson and Steve Raymond while they were doing book signings over at the Bellevue Orvis shop 15 or 16 years ago. I also met both of them while beach salmon fishing or at salt water fly fishing events. Both great anglers, authors, and advocates for our fisheries.