Late season baitfish bite

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I checked out one of the lakes I try to visit early and late in the season. When I arrived at 8 am conditions were calm and overcast and surprisingly mild temperatures, probably helped by the cloud cover. I saw a couple rise forms as I got organized. With zero W to scuff the surface I started with an unweighted #10 wiggle tail, a Jay Fair pattern that is basically a bugger tied on a scud hook. I tie it sparse and keep the total length to ~1.5”. I fished it off my SA clear camo intermediate line and a long leader, probably 13’.
F7E8B7AE-20F0-4267-9C6F-968CD61D2670.jpeg
It took me a few minutes to find the zone and retrieve that was working but once I did, it was steady fishing. Nothing over 14” but I was hooking up every 10-15 minutes for a couple of hours. I took a throat sample and found this assortment.
C474610C-C672-4A39-975C-135C057235CA.jpeg
To give my casting shoulder a break I rigged up an indicator and tried to match the sample with a small soft hackle jig nymph. Again I had to find the right zone and depth for the bug but it was game on for 12-14” fish. Around 10:30 a light rain started and I took a shore break to get my rain coat out. About the time I finished a PB&J and was ready to fish again, the rain quit and the first puff of W scuffed the surface. Time to switch tactics and offer up something bigger.
1451C316-51C5-4AFE-8878-981C9E43DEF9.jpeg

From 11-1 I had the best bite of the day and found a couple of quality fish. I covered a lot of water but found the action in a couple of distinct areas. The baitfish got plenty of attention and the takes were strong. At 1:30 the W ratcheted up and my bite turned off. I spent another couple hours trying to figure it out and missed a couple takes. I called it a little before 4. Those 2 hours of baitfish madness are the kind of thing that I’ll think about all winter.

E8B622CA-B8BE-431B-96C0-95B3E444512F.png
CB16D47C-0C87-4EF8-9CE8-CB6B62092457.jpeg

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
It's so funny none of us that I know of have ever seen baitfish there. But with the size of the fish you just wonder....

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
It's so funny none of us that I know of have ever seen baitfish there. But with the size of the fish you just wonder....
It’s interesting. I developed the pattern for a specific lake we have fished that is loaded with baitfish and it certainly works there. I’ve tried it other places and it’s really hit or miss.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
TP,

Is that a redside shiner imitation, simulation? Or something generic you came up with?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Really diggin'your baitfish pattern

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
TP,

Is that a redside shiner imitation, simulation? Or something generic you came up with?
Nothing specific. The inspiration came from watching a cloud of baitfish under my tube. About 2-3” long will dark backs and cream bellies. After I moved away a big fish blew them up.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
It’s interesting. I developed the pattern for a specific lake we have fished that is loaded with baitfish and it certainly works there. I’ve tried it other places and it’s really hit or miss.
Didn't you get like 2 big browns that first time out with that pattern?