Last solo float for winter '23

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
My custom for a good number of years now is to book a lesson with my 'fishing coach' the last day of the season to fish but more importantly to debrief and consolidate what I learned over the previous 3 months of fishing. So, I still have that to look forward to next week but I also wanted to squeeze in one last meditative solo day on the river, especially after what happened on my last float in this thread.

After coffee and breakfast, I began to get dressed and saw that it started snowing and 'snaining'. My first thought was "another cup of coffee and a good book may be better..." but that thought was followed by "fuckit, I'm going fishing". I got quickly geared up and threw the little boat in the back of the truck and my very patient wife drove me to my targeted put in.

I had my eye on a few spots that haven't panned in the past out but always make me think "there's gotta be a steelhead in there" and had me questioning my fishing. The weather was nutty, very cold with snow, hail, rain, and blue skies, sometimes all at the same time. Turns out my assessment of those spots was correct, I just hadn't been there on the right day until today. Picked up a nice sized colored up buck right off the bat to take the skunk off early. Got two more a bit later and lost a beautiful chromer hen at my hand after some cool acrobatics because I was too lazy to bring my net (rookie move) and was trying to tail her in some precarious footing. Hooked one last heavy fish that came off before I saw it. All on gear, didn't feel like messing with my spey rod given the weather although what I learned by fishing gear has me dialed to correctly swing a few of these spots (or not).

Nice last solo float of the season. A few photos:

Outcast Clearwater fits in the bed perfect. Might have to keep this thing after all...
03.25.23.03.jpg

Water looking pretty good.
03.25.23.04.jpg

03.25.23.05.jpg

03.25.23.02.jpg

03.25.23.01.jpg

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Nice write up Thomas! Thanks for sharing some great photos, and I’m glad your last float went so well.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Really glad you were able to get back on the water. Big step after what happened.

I camped out on a river just a bit south of you. When I woke up Friday morning I was glad it was snowing and not 34 degree rain. Well, soon enough it was both with hail mixed in. I think Friday and Saturday were about the worst weather possible. I don't recall ever seeing it snowing that hard while raining at the same time. But oh man did that sun feel good Sunday morning! Just in time to get everything dried out before putting it away.

Snow.jpg