Last minute open seat tomorrow 7/7

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
An interesting report from Ira today has me thinking of heading out in area 10 tomorrow to see what the coho are up to. Haven't had my boat out in a while and need to run her around anyway. I will go solo either way, but if anyone wants to go I'll have an open seat. Plan to launch out of Kingston pretty early. Not likely to stay out all day, but I'm not on any schedule at all either. I know it's last minute but figured I'd throw it out there.

Shoot me a PM or a text if you've got my number

Edited to add that while I'm certainly not above gear fishing, I plan to just fly fish tomorrow. No downriggers on my boat and I'm not feeling like scrambling to get my mooching gear ready as well as picking up herring/brining and all that.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Dang! If I wasn’t going on a lake hike tomorrow I’d sooo want to do this. Good luck out there guys!

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
An interesting report from Ira today has me thinking of heading out in area 10 tomorrow to see what the coho are up to. Haven't had my boat out in a while and need to run her around anyway. I will go solo either way, but if anyone wants to go I'll have an open seat. Plan to launch out of Kingston pretty early. Not likely to stay out all day, but I'm not on any schedule at all either. I know it's last minute but figured I'd throw it out there.

Shoot me a PM or a text if you've got my number

Edited to add that while I'm certainly not above gear fishing, I plan to just fly fish tomorrow. No downriggers on my boat and I'm not feeling like scrambling to get my mooching gear ready as well as picking up herring/brining and all that.
If you could swing by Fairhaven and pick me up that’d be great.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Well to be fair it is a weekday, it was last minute, and not everyone is a shiftless layabout grounded charter boat captain with nothing but time on his hands lol.
What about a shiftless layabout grounded stay at home dad with nothing but time (and mac n cheese) on his ;)

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
To who ever scored this opp, you lucky bastard 😀 I’m very jealous. Nick is as good as or better than they come in fishing the sound and beyond, and just an overall great spud to be around. Have fun and of course we’re all now living vicariously through you and the report of the 3-4 lb footballs in the bait balls is mandatory 😀

Dave

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Nice work Nick. Got to love the nice marine layer this morning.
Perfect for fishing the sound. Good luck out there today.
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you had an Ross big game canyon reel or something else non orvis I would not recommend it but wow what a photo and to have a Orvis reel too nice work.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
What an enjoyable day on the water. Thanks to @SometimesIUseBait for coming out and showing me how to actually land them. Great company and a damn good fisherman.

Fishing wasn't half bad either

View attachment 71985View attachment 71986View attachment 71987

Nice! I would not have been able to make it today anyway but I always seem to see these open seats late…boo. I got nice incidental rezzie this past week fishing SRC and have heard from a couple others that they have found some too (intentional and unintentional). Hoping that means a solid early MA 9 season!

That said, with you around a bit this year, us Kitsap side salmon fishers may need to curb our catch expectations by an appreciable amount ;).

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Nice! I would not have been able to make it today anyway but I always seem to see these open seats late…boo. I got nice incidental rezzie this past week fishing SRC and have heard from a couple others that they have found some too (intentional and unintentional). Hoping that means a solid early MA 9 season!

That said, with you around a bit this year, us Kitsap side salmon fishers may need to curb our catch expectations by an appreciable amount ;).

There's no doubt I'm just not as dialed in to the summer sound fishing program these days since I just haven't been around to do it as much as I'd like, but I was very encouraged with what we saw today. It was coho being as coho should. I got on the water early and had an hour and a half to kill before I had to run and pick SometimesIFishBait when his ferry arrived. So I ran around full speed having a ball for maybe 20 minutes then I just came in near the ferry dock and shut down and drifted while sipping coffee and just enjoying the morning. A few minutes of sitting there and I saw a little bait pop. No rips, kinda just frog water but I had a rod sitting there and thought what the hell. I then went 1-4 in about a dozen casts and missed a few as well. I was like wtf?!?

But then we just kinda found some fish in every area where one might expect to find coho, and they were happy to eat clousers. I had a hell of a time getting hooks to stick in them, but it was great to see what just seemed like normal coho activity. Seems the last few years, for the limited time I've spent out there this time of year, they've been harder to get casting flies for some reason. At least fishing open water rips like I love to do. Today it seemed like every time we found good looking water and bait, we hooked coho. As it should be damnit. I've definitely had better numbers days and such but I'd happily take this kind of fishing any day of the season. I too am hoping it bodes well for upcoming seasons.

We never did get close to a beach today. Maybe 50' was about as shallow as we fished and just stuck to open water rips all over area 10. Also never saw a lot of surface activity or anything to actually cast to besides juicy rips. It was a bit choppy most of the day so it would have been tough to see much unless they were super active, but I take it as a good sign when I can go blind cast flies in open water rips and find willing coho

I'd also like to take this opportunity to admit that I got thoroughly outfished today. I was sucking big time. Had so many grabs including several we watched right at the boat but man I just couldn't poke em well today. No complaints though, I had a blast either way.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
That damn Subauru guy again!!! I had the day off but seen the thread after the spot was taken. All good though as I spent my afternoon with my mom, not as fun as fishing with Nick, but learned a bunch of family history that I was ablivouse too in the past. Damn, kids are f#$%ing clueless, I mean me, LOL!