Lake Cushman

Lefty

Freshly Spawned
Greetings All,

I'm a long time lurker, big time fan of the new site, and have finally decided to wade in and participate in the Forums. As a bit of background, I'm primarily a freshwater fly fisherman and enjoy both rivers and lakes. I also love chasing SRC in the salt when I can get out. Sadly, I've pretty much given up on Steelhead. I'm located on the wet-side of WA and am closer to retirement age than not.

So here goes- A friend of mine recently purchased a place on Lake Cushman out near Hoodsport. In preparation for visiting I've been doing a bit of research on the lake and fly fishing opportunities. Quite honestly I've not found much in the way of intel, reports, or even gossip . WDFW lists kokanee and coastal Cutthroat as the only species. There used to be a resort on the lake but that appears shut down. My sense it's pretty much a boat and trolling sort of show. I was hoping one or more of the forum members might have some more specific insight or experience as to the fly fishing potential. Given the large size of the lake, I'm hoping to narrow down areas to fish and/or launch a float tube or small pontoon boat.

Additionally, It looks like the lake is fed by the N Fork of the Skokomish River and I was also considering that as a possible walk and wade sort of alternative. After looking at the Regs, I think it's open but then again what do I know?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I used to fish it a lot as a kid but not recently.
Cushman is a big lake, so wind is always a consideration especially when fishing it out of a tube or pontoon.
I’d personally concentrate your efforts at the north end of the lake where the NF dumps in and stay closer to shore should the weather change quickly. That area may also get you away from other potential boat traffic.
In the WDFW fishing regs, it also mentions smallmouth, largemouth, channel cats and walleye? That is interesting. Bucket bios must have been busy! There used to be a self sustaining population of chinook in there, but I’m not sure they still exist.
I would definitely have some terrestrials with me and we used to see some pretty big flying ant hatches while fishing for Kokanee.
The river above the lake is in the ONP so you’ll need to check the regulations for it there.
If I remember correctly, the Skokomish tribe now controls some of the access up there so always worth checking to see if any fees are required for access, launching etc.
Good luck.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have never fished Lake Cushman and most likely never will. Lake Cushman is the subject of a significant anadromous fish restoration effort under Tacoma Power's FERC (hydro) license. The primary species are spring Chinook and sockeye, with coho and steelhead to follow over time. I think the fishing prospects in Lake Cushman are less than very low. Small resident trout can be found in the upper NF Skokomish, along with some ESA protected bull trout. The best fishing prospect in the area is probably the lower reservoir downstream from Lake Cushman, Lake Kokanee. Tacoma regularly stocks it with some pretty nice trout. As a reservoir, it's very deep, so I would try trolling a sinking line searching for whatever depth the trout are holding at.

Lefty

Freshly Spawned
Appreciate the feedback even if it confirms my worries. The lake seems to be a mediocre fishery, and at the same time another illustration of a case where dams, regulation, and population have conspired to decimate native and anadromous fisheries.

While I wasn't looking for a "secret" spot, I was hoping that I was wrong about my assessment.

Maybe I'll just fill my cooler with some tasty IPA's and enjoy the water and views.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’d still fish it if you end up in the area. You might be surprised.
It’s a big lake with multiple species, so no way it can get fished out.
Though not a lot of them, we caught cutts exceeding 20” out of it back in the day.
Even a skunking while enjoying an IPA or two while out in your toon wouldn’t be the worst way to spend a day. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Appreciate the feedback even if it confirms my worries. The lake seems to be a mediocre fishery, and at the same time another illustration of a case where dams, regulation, and population have conspired to decimate native and anadromous fisheries.

While I wasn't looking for a "secret" spot, I was hoping that I was wrong about my assessment.

Maybe I'll just fill my cooler with some tasty IPA's and enjoy the water and views.
While Lake Cushman is not likely to be very productive (and the North Fork does hold some small rainbows), you can use Lake Cushman as a base for fishing at the hatchery at Hoodsport for pink salmon and king salmon. There is some public access shoreline at the hatchery itself, but it is bordered with private tidelands. Or you can launch a kayak or pontoon boat and fish in front of the hatchery.
Steve

Reactions: RCF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Sent message

dflett68

Steelhead
never fished it but seeing the name in print instantly conjures memories of "the fishing and hunting news" which i believe pumped it regularly as a hotspot when i was a kid. has not been stocked since 2008. i wonder if that's when the restoration effort SG referred to began. it is interesting to me that wdfw goes to the trouble to include this language in their summary of the lake: "No rainbow trout are stocked into this lake", since NO species have been stocked for 14 years, and the last species to be stocked in significant numbers were....rainbows. it's a weird statement, and i'm guessing it also relates to the restoration project.

if i were going i would give it a try, there's no way there aren't fish in there.

Release YearCohoCutthroatKokaneeRainbow
1995​
1996​
1997​
1998​
1999​
2000​
2001​
2002​
2003​
2004​
2005​
2006​
2007​
2008​

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
"the fishing and hunting news" which i believe pumped it regularly as a hotspot when i was a kid.
I sent the full piece, dated as it is.