Lady Scarlett Pheasant Spey, a memorial fly.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
My oldest friend called me earlier this week, to let me know he had to put his red setter Scarlett down the night before. Scarlett was the last in a line of dogs going back to his childhood. Previously he had bred, trained and sold setters, and his connection to his dogs is something I've always been in awe of. He and scarlett in particular were a force in the field. She dutifully rode shotgun everywhere he went, his little runt and jobsite buddy.

He let me know that the rooster cape I had picked up a month ago (a dandy, btw) was Scarletts last bird, and he asked me to tie some flies he could frame to commemorate her.

I immediately burst into tears, absolutely honored he would ask. I told him yes, of course and asked if he had any of her fur that I could use. He got ahold of the vet and is getting a clipping from her this week.

I've settled upon a lady caroline style platform, an elegant, understated classic to befit her stature and efficiency. I'm practicing now, with real tinsel on the way, my own dubbing instead of her hair and and old Cape I got from her last year. I'm also substituting the mallard for wings made of rooster tail.

If anybody has suggestions for how to incorporate more or different ringneck feathers, or to do this better, I'd love to hear them. I dont tie this style often and will be tying many before I get ones I'll want to frame.

The early Lady Scarlett

20240114_164008.jpg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
My oldest friend called me earlier this week, to let me know he had to put his red setter Scarlett down the night before. Scarlett was the last in a line of dogs going back to his childhood. Previously he had bred, trained and sold setters, and his connection to his dogs is something I've always been in awe of. He and scarlett in particular were a force in the field. She dutifully rode shotgun everywhere he went, his little runt and jobsite buddy.

He let me know that the rooster cape I had picked up a month ago (a dandy, btw) was Scarletts last bird, and he asked me to tie some flies he could frame to commemorate her.

I immediately burst into tears, absolutely honored he would ask. I told him yes, of course and asked if he had any of her fur that I could use. He got ahold of the vet and is getting a clipping from her this week.

I've settled upon a lady caroline style platform, an elegant, understated classic to befit her stature and efficiency. I'm practicing now, with real tinsel on the way, my own dubbing instead of her hair and and old Cape I got from her last year. I'm also substituting the mallard for wings made of rooster tail.

If anybody has suggestions for how to incorporate more or different ringneck feathers, or to do this better, I'd love to hear them. I dont tie this style often and will be tying many before I get ones I'll want to frame.

The early Lady Scarlett

View attachment 99538
Please list the materials/colors and brand/size of hook; also take a photo of the pheasant skin you are using. I’ll give ya my thoughts on tying it up again. Thanks.

One thought initially, is a two sectioned body, for hackling purposes (due to materials). I’ll know more after reading and seeing the materials.

Reactions: RCF

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
What a great tribute to your friend’s dog. Your story made me tear up a bit. I have an envelope with my old dog Jasper’s fur in it. I’ve thought about tying a fly with some but he was never into water so that just doesn’t sound fitting. Best wishes to your friend and rest in peace Scarlett 🌈

RCF

Life of the Party
Irish setters have been in our family for over 40 years.

What you are doing is worth shedding tears for sure. I have... Your gift will keep cherished memories alive for many years to come.

From the bottom of my heart ---> thank you!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Man…

Our 17 yo Chip almost went down twice in the last 4 months…he keeps making a comeback, telling us it’s not time yet.

I already have clippings from his hair in a bag on my desk…I’m not looking forward to doing the same as you are doing now…

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
No more fitting tribute for a bird dog. I tie today with quail, duck, goose, partridge, and pheasant retrieved by my dogs over the years. As I get older I find the memories overwhelm me at times when I tie one on. Dugan helps me through those times.

For pheasant feathers and some dog hair, I'd consider a Sixpack pattern using undyed feathers, with a hair underwing. Sorta a Carey Special feel to it, you could name it the Scarlett Special I suppose. You may also find something you could adapt from the Professor, another favorite and very old pattern. Either way, they'd be very fishy as well as rooted in northwest history.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Ok quick tie. To me ringneck feathers don't lend themselves well to a precisely structured fly. Other than perhaps a PT nymph. They are more of a free form kind of feather. Here is a speyish tie with just pheasant feathers, dubbing, tinsel and a little floss. I made the head scarlet but I would imagine you would make Scarlett the head. Anyway food for thought. Bet this would catch a summer fish in a number pf places.
PXL_20240115_224704845.MP~3.jpg.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Ok quick tie. To me ringneck feathers don't lend themselves well to a precisely structured fly. Other than perhaps a PT nymph. They are more of a free form kind of feather. Here is a speyish tie with just pheasant feathers, dubbing, tinsel and a little floss. I made the head scarlet but I would imagine you would make Scarlett the head. Anyway food for thought. Bet this would catch a summer fish in a number pf places.
View attachment 99689.
I really like the inclusion of the smaller hacking along the body, really allows for a lot of different feathers to be used

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
An update of the Lady in progress...

20240128_135337.jpg

This one is for the fishing box still. Need the body/tinsel more even, wing lower, cheeks above the wing, cleaner head... getting there though, my wings have been cleaner on other attempts, which is proving the be a rewarding journey. Some previous attempts have already been Bull approved.