Lacto fermentation

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I must have been living under a rock....never even heard of this. And fermented hot sauce? Sign me up!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Would you trade smoked salmon or something for some fermented hot sauce?

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
It's between 72-78 night and day in here. Good, I was a bit concerned about the cloudiness. The batch I put up today I weighed out the extra 3% weight of the cukes in salt and added that(I still had brine left over that was 4% so I'll have something in between that). I'm planting cabbage starts now, sauerkraut this fall.
The cloudiness is just the lactobacillus bacteria, a lot of it will settle to the bottom when you refrigerate the pickles. I like to put mine in the fridge when they are 90% as fermented as I want. They still ferment in the fridge, my guess is 1 week in the fridge is about 1 day at 70 degrees.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Most hotsauce is fermented hotsauce, Tabasco (fermented and aged tobasco peppers) and Frank's Red Hot (Cayanne peppers) being 2 famous examples. They are fermented, aged then cut with vinegar. So it's not a super rare thing, but homemade of course is always better.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I'm going to try a fermented cayenne hot sauce this year. First time growing peppers and I'm looking forward to them ripening so I can get started!
Unfortunately my pepper crop sucks this year, they got pushed to the end of my "triage" things to do list before I got them in ground. I sell at farmers markets, so I have connections :cool: I'll still get a bunch of peppers.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Unfortunately my pepper crop sucks this year, they got pushed to the end of my "triage" things to do list before I got them in ground. I sell at farmers markets, so I have connections :cool: I'll still get a bunch of peppers.
I'll probably end up buying some from my local farmers market too. I'm thinking garlic-fresno and a serrano-tomatillo, maybe even a habenero-carrot joint.

tkww

Steelhead
I usually make up a few fermented hot sauces every year. Sometimes I follow a theme (like green: jales and pablanos). Other times it's a mix of whatever is coming out of the garden. I'm not a big vinegar person so I don't add any afterwards. I've fermented for as long as 6 or 7 weeks, but I think something less is probably the sweet spot (3-4 weeks?) for some tang but not too much funk.

I'll probably end up buying some from my local farmers market too. I'm thinking garlic-fresno and a serrano-tomatillo, maybe even a habenero-carrot joint.
That is one of my goals this year--incorporating non-pepper stuff in it. Tomatillos sound like a great idea. I've been wanting to try fruit and something potent like a hab.

Have you fermented garlic before? My experience in a jar of peppers is that it really, really takes over. (And I'm talking one glove in 2/3s full quart jar.) I felt like it became more a garlic sauce than hot sauce (which wasn't really what I was going for).

I'm realizing I could also add some pressed garlic at the end (i.e., before it goes in the fridge) so I get some of the flavor but not the fermented version.

Last edited:

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I usually make up a few fermented hot sauces every year. Sometimes I follow a theme (like green: jales and pablanos). Other times it's a mix of whatever is coming out of the garden. I'm not a big vinegar person so I don't add any afterwards. I've fermented for as long as 6 or 7 weeks, but I think something less is probably the sweet spot (3-4 weeks?) for some tang but not too much funk.

That is one of my goals this year--incorporating non-pepper stuff in it. Tomatillos sound like a great idea. I've been wanting to try fruit and something potent like a hab.

Have you fermented garlic before? My experience in a jar of peppers is that it really, really takes over. (And I'm talking one glove in 2/3s full quart jar.) I felt like it became more a garlic sauce than hot sauce (which wasn't really what I was going for).

I'm realizing I could also add some pressed garlic at the end (i.e., before it goes in the fridge) so I get some of the flavor but not the fermented version.
We like big punchy garlic flavor, we'll do 3-4 cloves in a half gallon cucumber pickle ferment. I haven't done sauces yet so I can't speak to that, but I'll keep it in mind!

tkww

Steelhead
We like big punchy garlic flavor, we'll do 3-4 cloves in a half gallon cucumber pickle ferment. I haven't done sauces yet so I can't speak to that, but I'll keep it in mind!
I did a bit more reading today. I think some of my garlic results may have been from an overly-long ferment.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Soo, day 8 now, I tested one yesterday and it was OK, definitely a pickle, stayed nice and crisp, but not as sour as I thought, there's actually little to no sourness at all. I get a nice mellow funk, almost like the clovey esters from a German style heffeweizen. I may have used too much dill as I get an almost menthol aftertaste. Anyways I dumped those batches out and mixed them up then re-jarred them in 1/2 gallon masons with fermentation airlocks I just got. We're going to call this the secondary ferment.
20230807_230835.jpg
Got a white mass/glob of something forming under the surface.
20230808_160104.jpg

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
The white glob forming in the bottom pic. Normal part of the fermentation process?
I wouldn't call it a glob, more of a feathery precipitate. I had a scoby start to form on the surface of one jar when I skimmed and re-bottled them, also a bit of mold got skimmed off. Waiting for the experts to chime in.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yeah I have been thinking to grab a few more big ones. I'm gonna need them. Thanks for the tip! I was going to be checking BiMart as well.