Kvichak River in early June

Salvy

Freshly Spawned
I'm headed to fish the Kvichak River the first two weeks of June. I know the sockeye smolt outmigration will be in full swing.

Does anyone know if there is a fry migration as well. By this, I mean the freshly hatched salmon from eggs will be moving downstream in some places. I've experienced this in the Ugashik Lakes but not sure if it happens in the Kvichak River.

Any ideas? Not asking for specifics, just some basic salmon life history.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
At that time there are generally smolts leaving lakes via outlet streams and fry entering lakes via inlet streams.

G_Smolt

Legend
3 observations.

It's always a good idea to have a variety of baitfish patterns for the BBay opener, as well as some eggs and flesh. As S_g pointed out, most of the sockeye spawn takes place in the lake trib streams, but there is a fair amount of spawning from Iguigig to the braids. Alevin to 4" smolt is a good range.

When the smolt bust isn't on, sculpins can be effective.

Big black leeches catch everything.

Salvy

Freshly Spawned
Salmo_g, thanks. I was thinking the fry should go into the lakes and the smolt leave but my life history is rusty. Much appreciated. G_Smolt, thanks for the reminder that big black leeches catch everything. Haven't fished AK since 2006.