Knotted Pheasant Legs

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Just spent 2 hours trying to knot single and double fiber legs. Watched some videos and tried the button hook and tweeser methods. Just don't have the fine motor control or patience to do it anymore. Looked on line (JS and FC) and found hopper legs, but not the one or two strand daddy type legs. Anybody have a source for these, or is it that tying season time of year where supplies are low? Is there a diy secret? Thx

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Just spent 2 hours trying to knot single and double fiber legs. Watched some videos and tried the button hook and tweeser methods. Just don't have the fine motor control or patience to do it anymore. Looked on line (JS and FC) and found hopper legs, but not the one or two strand daddy type legs. Anybody have a source for these, or is it that tying season time of year where supplies are low? Is there a diy secret? Thx

Search Google for: "veniard double knotted"

You will see lots of sources.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Zak has the right idea. I've knotted pheasant tail legs for hopper patterns before trips to Montana. I was knotting 4 or 5 strands at a time to make it look like hopper legs . I had seen preknotted pheasant tail legs in shops before but turned my nose up at them suffering from what I call fly tying purist snootiness, or FPS but as I got older I decided to look for the ones already knotted and had a hard time finding them. My FPS is gone but if I have to tie hoppers now I'm going to tie my own knotted legs or get them on line. Good luck. Sigh

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Search Google for: "veniard double knotted"

You will see lots of sources.
Thanks for the keywords :), several places were out but I found some at dakota angler, along with some UTC in burnt orange I'd been looking for. Got 140 but the 70 I wanted is out there too.

Reactions: Zak