Knife Sharpening Q's

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Having cooked for a living, I really like appreciate sharp knives. Since I don't need to do it often I have a smith stone set and guide. It's kinda a PITA but does a nice job, and since I only have to sharpen about once-twice a year it's not bad. My wife always cuts herself afterwards anyway. I have a couple favorite high carbon blades that I'll just touch to a ceramic V before use, she can't touch them. If your not good at keeping the proper angle, stroke and pressure on a wetstone it can get there and go away just a quick. Avoid the kitchen steel unless your well versed in it's use.
That Ken Onion tool looks really handy.

Last edited:

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
I must be the only one who dislikes the Worksharp. Like Daniel, i can't get my knives sharp using the WS i have 4 different grits and have thought about buying some whetstones and going that route anyone have a good recommendation on what to buy? This one caught my eye

Amazon product ASIN B07SG9KB8V

Shad

Life of the Party
I just want to be able to cut a garden fresh tomato with out squishing it or an onion without the layers sliding
Tomatoes are among the ultimate tests of blade sharpness. Indeed, my favorite knife for slicing tomatoes is an offset, serrated blade I have only seen in restaurants. The blade is about an inch below the handle level. You can probably order one, but because it's "pro" gear, it may cost a bit...

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Daniel,

If you aren't getting a good edge with the Spyderco, you likely need to lay down a good working edge first with a whetstone. I love the ease of the Spyderco, but I use a stone on some knives occasionally. I try to keep my knives sharp with frequent use of a steel, but Mrs. Salmo never uses it, so her "designated" knife needs sharpening more often. The ones I use stay sharp for 6 to 12 months, depending on the quality of the steel in the blade.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I have such a hard time getting a good edge with a stone. When I'm desperate, I'll even revert to the carbide scraper sharpener. Causes some domestic distress, though. Not because I'm ruining the knives, but my wife worries about cutting herself with sharper knives. That's always good for some eye rolling.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Daniel,

If you aren't getting a good edge with the Spyderco, you likely need to lay down a good working edge first with a whetstone. I love the ease of the Spyderco, but I use a stone on some knives occasionally. I try to keep my knives sharp with frequent use of a steel, but Mrs. Salmo never uses it, so her "designated" knife needs sharpening more often. The ones I use stay sharp for 6 to 12 months, depending on the quality of the steel in the blade.
Yes sir I think you're right but the spider goes set have left such a dull taste in my mouth I'll tell you what the next time we run into each other I'll see about giving you these spiderco things if i find them

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
If you aren't getting a good edge with the .........., you likely need to lay down a good working edge first with a whetstone.
Good point. Any sharpening should be done at the same angle as blade was originally cut at. If the angle to the stone varies you may be removing material from along the side and not the cutting zone, or trying to cut a new blade shape. Consistency is key. I'll use the different blade angles for different knives. Having the knives done professionally with a known bevel can help. We had a guy come in to the restaurant, and here there is a guy on pine who will do them. Once done, it's pretty easy keep sharp.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Did anyone go to the Kai(Kershaw) warehouse sale this year?
20221202_225150.jpg
Got these to go with the couple of other Shun blades we have. Luckily I have an employee who has a knife sharpening business on the side so I let him do it for me, but when he moves on I'll be looking into the Ken Onion sharpener. What I have never understood is the honing. How do you keep the right angle while your rocking a blade back and forth on that metal rod, it just doesn't seem controlled/precise enough.

Russell

Steelhead
I have japanese wet stones, spyderco sharpener (which makes some super sharp edges}, idahone, strops, steels (ceramic and steel), etc.
I have a problem.
For my kitchen knives i use a chefs choice electric sharpener. I use one with a 30 degree angle three stage and it is fast and easy. Plenty sharp for the kitchen and tomatoes. I can get knives sharper but it is not needed in the kitchen and it is so easy with the chefs choice; has a diamond wheel to reset angle and a less course wheel and a strop wheel to keep the knives sharp. If my knives were nicer than the wusthof henckel veriety maybe I would stick to my wet stones.
Just for pics. I can shave with this cleaver. If you can deal with caring for a knife carbon steel is the way to go.
1672800553257.png

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
These 2 do everything but fillet fish for me. Top was grandmothers, bottom a gift from a former chef bosses personal stash.
20230103_184451.jpg

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
View attachment 48377
Got these to go with the couple of other Shun blades we have. Luckily I have an employee who has a knife sharpening business on the side so I let him do it for me, but when he moves on I'll be looking into the Ken Onion sharpener. What I have never understood is the honing. How do you keep the right angle while your rocking a blade back and forth on that metal rod, it just doesn't seem controlled/precise enough.
We have similar tastes (only the second one down is a Shun though)
1672801221087.png

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I can shave with this cleaver. If you can deal with caring for a knife carbon steel is the way to go.
Yes, high carbon!
So back to the original post. I use the smiths because I would consider these blades delicate, and I can use the correct grade stone and same angle every time to carefully do these and a couple pocket knives, as well as the more durable general use knives I do for the wife. Once done and with careful use they stay sharp. The ceramic V polisher I use is the one that came with my Rapala fillet knife.
I still think if I did more harder kitchen knives, as well as some other stuff, the tools look great.
I did the mower blade with the grinder and a file after I hit a rock last summer. :)

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Having been an injection moldmaker for much of my career, my stone inventory is vast-well over 100 stones in almost every grit imaginable. I don't use any of them to sharpen knives. Instead I have 3 small diamond hones-1'' x 2 3/4'' that interchangeably nest in a wooden block the same size of a regular whetstone. The course grit is seldom needed, the medium is the sweet spot and the fine is ultra fine. I have sharpened every hook I have ever tied on with the medium grit for over 30 years with no apparent degradation. The same hone has done knives for just as long and is just superb. I assume that polishing molds to a mirror finish over a span of 40 years has given me more hand control than most and makes getting the proper angle quite easy. I use a ceramic hone for final finish and occasional touch up.

This past summer there was 3 different ladies cooking in my kitchen at different times and their knife skills and care were far different than mine! By fall most of my knives needed attention and took a couple of hours to restore to good health. Perfect edges are vulnerable to even the slightest bump and require a lot of work to make right. My recommendation is to never let food dry on a good knife, rinse it immediately after use, wipe dry with a soft cloth and place it out of harms way.

A powerful magnifier will aid the newbies in getting a perfect edge. Under a bright light look at the blade edge on through the glass. Any nicks or damage to the blade will reflect light, a good edge will reflect none. There is something therapeutic about hand sharpening a blade for me. For decades I ran all kinds of machinery for a living, now it is nice to just sit in my recliner and hone a blade with no mechanical noise.

Shad

Life of the Party
View attachment 48377
What I have never understood is the honing. How do you keep the right angle while your rocking a blade back and forth on that metal rod, it just doesn't seem controlled/precise enough.
Like I said, it's old school, which means manual, and only effective in skilled hands. It takes practice, but anyone can learn. Ask any butcher if they want to give up their steel....

Also remember that once your edge is worn down, a steel will never produce a sharp edge; that's when it's time to bust out the stone (or sharpening system!)