Kitchi

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
We were equipped with 2 14’ aluminum v hull boats with Yamaha 15 hp tillers, and plenty of gas. The maps do not show all the hazardous rocks!
60CD183F-538C-47E5-BD13-FF9B29348714.jpeg

We took it slow as we learned our way around, and had no rock encounters. I did see a couple rocks/reefs that had scars from the boats. If you think you need it you better bring your own…
745A42F3-901F-4831-AD70-D2FA85AA723E.jpeg
Yes that was my life jacket, backside view.

My previous trips involved clear water and sight fishing for Pike. Kitchi is tannin stained and we spent our time blind casting to promising water, and trolling. This was probably for the best as I have been dealing with a little tendinitis in my right elbow. Instead of overhead casting, I mainly two hand roll cast my Godshall built 868 Iconoglass with extended fighting butt.
I would swing the line back and forth until only the fly was anchored, and launch.

I was really happy with the rod combined with an intermediate Rio pike/musky line. I was the only fly rod in use, the others used spin gear with spoons, jigs, and… I caught as many fish as anyone else. I actually caught my share of Walleye too. Nothing better than 36” for me in the pike realm, but I caught a half dozen or more on most days. I could see my fly and seeing the eat never gets old.

The only fish pic I took
5D7EBD98-F4CB-4850-B307-00434412F85F.jpeg
This walleye ate my boat mates jig first, and somehow ate my fly after it was on the spin rod! Hungry fish.

A shot of my fishing mentor’s grandson getting stoked on fishing
B49B8C6B-4B3E-4088-8A1D-C9E1E8F0CF62.jpeg