Kayak Fly Fishing

Wiznet

Steelhead
Hey guys, curious if there are any salt kayakers on the forum? I've been playing with the idea of getting a hobie or an oldtown to get out on the water. What have people's experiences been trying to fly fish/fish off of these in the sound?

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I've got a Hobie Passport 12 that I fish in Trinidad Bay, CA. It's a blast and I would recommend it. Fly line tends to get tangeld on the pedal drive, but I usually just throw a jacket over it and it works just fine,

RCF

Life of the Party
Lots of fly fishing from kayaks discussed here:

Maybe it will help or put you in touch with like-minded folks...

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Hey guys, curious if there are any salt kayakers on the forum? I've been playing with the idea of getting a hobie or an oldtown to get out on the water. What have people's experiences been trying to fly fish/fish off of these in the sound?
Before I got a boat I was confined to my kayak. I live in an area that has very strong currents and I'll tell you I worked very hard for all of my fish. It was really fun though. I would drift backwards either parallel to the shore or with the nose of the kayak pointed at the shore. I would stay far enough back to cast within 5 feet of the shore and strip as fast as possible. Awesome when you get decent sized fish that can tow you around. Have fun! I should also say I had a regular kayak.

Last edited:

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
When I used to fly fish out of a kayak, there were occasions that the fish were inside the kelp beds (I mostly fished areas 4 and 6) and it was worth it to have a kayak without anything underneath to hang up (I even had to pull the rudder up). I never felt at a disadvantage without pedals or props, since all my fly fishing was done while drifting, just like when I fished out larger boats.

Some of my most memorable saltwater fly fishing experiences were in a kayak. I think the closeness to the water and being more at the mercy of currents make the good days in a kayak better than epic days in a big boat. You also can observe so much more, much like walking versus driving.

Last edited:

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Most of my salt excursions are in a kayak without a peddle or prop drive. It definitely keeps you fit, but there are trade-offs. If you want a stable platform to stand in that will translate to both weight and slow paddling. If you want to cover a lot of water you either time the tides really well, or use a touring style kayak with less stability or buy one with a peddle or paddle drive. I've become more of a fan of paddling to the destination and getting out and wade fishing, just because anchoring up with an anchor trolley can be dicey at times. Like Chris Bellows said though, it is definitely revealing as to what you see and hear. You hear a lot of weird stuff in ways you just do not in a boat. Seal exhalations or water slaps, the osprey, the heron, the eagle calls, the kind of hummingbird flutter of a SRC as it jumps out of the water before it splashes down, the occasional hiss of bait spraying up from below. It also opens your eyes to the near obliviousness of a TON of recreational boaters.

Kado

Steelhead
Rockfish around the kelp beds....hard to beat.
I like that my Hobie has reverse so I can maintain an easy distance while drifting.
Safety on the salt is a much bigger deal. Everything is a little bigger...swells, boats, wakes, fish, wind chop....can't rely on being rescued from a passing boat.
So much fun though. Hopefully heading up to area 5 this weekend.