Juvenile muskie?

Just read the article about Muskie fly fishing on this site. Targeting a huge toothy apex predator... way cool! Even started collecting materials for tying those 8-10" bait fish flies :) So exciting!!!

One question though. Are there any smaller juvenile Muskies that take smaller flies like larger clousers maybe? Is there such a thing as specifically targeting small ones? Are there any in Mayfield Lake or Merwin worth the try?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
They stock them at about a foot long. Personally in the time I've been targeting them, I've only caught one under 30", a little 24" fish that still ate an 8" fly. I'm not sure why you'd want to intentionally target the little ones though since the less they're harassed when little (they can be rather delicate at thar size), the greater chance one can harass them when they're 4' long, which would seem to be much more fun. 🥳

They stock them at about a foot long. Personally in the time I've been targeting them, I've only caught one under 30", a little 24" fish that still ate an 8" fly. I'm not sure why you'd want to intentionally target the little ones though since the less they're harassed when little (they can be rather delicate at thar size), the greater chance one can harass them when they're 4' long, which would seem to be much more fun. 🥳
Thanks for the info! The only reason I thought about this is because my current fly inventory does not have any 8" flies. A bunch of clouser minnows and needlefish flies for barracuda is all I have at the moment. Also, as a starting point I thought it's easier to catch small ones like it's with the bass and other predatory fish.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Gear guys regularly get the big ones on 4-6" lures. Regardless of the size of fly that you decide to throw, a larger hook gap will work better than a smaller one. E.g. 4/0 with a 5" fly....etc. not a size 2.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
My understanding is that tigers grow rather quickly (remarkably so) I have a paper sent to me by one of the district bios that studied growth rate. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just read the article about Muskie fly fishing on this site. Targeting a huge toothy apex predator... way cool! Even started collecting materials for tying those 8-10" bait fish flies :) So exciting!!!

One question though. Are there any smaller juvenile Muskies that take smaller flies like larger clousers maybe? Is there such a thing as specifically targeting small ones? Are there any in Mayfield Lake or Merwin worth the try?
You can get a large musk on a smaller fly. They don't fight hard enough to warrant beyond an eight weight. Just go fish for them with what you got and learn about them.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
plus, depending on how a fly is tied, some 8" flies are VERY easy to throw on an 8wt.

Bottom line though, it's a really fun journey....one I'm constantly learning on. To Dustin's point though, they really don't fight all that hard, but that's really not the point. That said, the majority of my 45"+ I've landed, I've been thankful for a 10wt just to get them into the net fast...and on their way.