Just started tying wanted to share what i have done

aheinz

Smolt
Hello, this is my first post here, I recently started fly tying, kinda went all in and got the venture fly co tying set up with the materials and have been enjoying the video tutorials, some time ago I tied the San jaun worms. Then took a break just did the zebra midges and a couple of hares ear

Attachments

• 20240302_172742.jpg
    20240302_172742.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20240303_191127.jpg
    20240303_191127.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 70

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hello, this is my first post here, I recently started fly tying, kinda went all in and got the venture fly co tying set up with the materials and have been enjoying the video tutorials, some time ago I tied the San jaun worms. Then took a break just did the zebra midges and a couple of hares ear
Welcome! Nice flies and congrats on your new hobby! Feel free to post in (and check out) the What's in Your Vise thread.

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Very nice work!

aheinz

Smolt
Thank you, taking my time and learning. Still trying to figure out the right amount of dubbing to have when starting to twist it on.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Thank you, taking my time and learning. Still trying to figure out the right amount of dubbing to have when starting to twist it on.
If you are in the neighborhood, stop by the NWExpo.com this weekend in Albany, OR.

There’ll be plenty of people there to show ya how. I’ll be demonstrating two types for getting the “right amount” (at least for my liking).

Hint… “Isonychia velma”

Welcome aboard…it’s a fun and enjoyable pastime. 😁

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Welcome to the forum and to the bottomless, never-ending need for more tying materials. There are many talented tyers posting pictures, step-by-steps, recipes and videos of their ties. Enjoy!! (btw, well done!)

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
take a pinch of dubbing and drop it. if it floats in the air you have the right amount. if not, cut the amount in half and try again
The “KG” method of instruction…

I also like to use the “just enough to barely cover the thread” method. 😉

Last edited:

aheinz

Smolt
If you are in the neighborhood, stop by the NWExpo.com this weekend in Albany, OR.

There’ll be plenty of people there to show ya how. I’ll be demonstrating two types for getting the “right amount” (at least for my liking).

Hint… “Isonychia velma”

Welcome aboard…it’s a fun and enjoyable pastime. 😁
If I was close enough I'd love to,

take a pinch of dubbing and drop it. if it floats in the air you have the right amount. if not, cut the amount in half and try again
The “KG” method of instruction…

I also like to use the “just enough to barely cover the thread” method. 😉
I'll try out both methods and see what I like,

Thank you all for the warm welcome, i have one extra hook from the pack meant for the zebra midge as I managed to send the last bead into the abyss, so been thinking about using it for some kind of creation

Reactions: Zak

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
If I was close enough I'd love to,

I'll try out both methods and see what I like,

Thank you all for the warm welcome, i have one extra hook from the pack meant for the zebra midge as I managed to send the last bead into the abyss, so been thinking about using it for some kind of creation
BTW…the KG method is in reference to Kelly Galloup videos, where he talks about the feathery flight of dubbing. The video is about 30 minutes long for a two minute topic.

There are a lot of great YouTube videos…I like Davie McPhail for all around tying.

aheinz

Smolt
BTW…the KG method is in reference to Kelly Galloup videos, where he talks about the feathery flight of dubbing. The video is about 30 minutes long for a two minute topic.

There are a lot of great YouTube videos…I like Davie McPhail for all around tying.
One if the channels I've enjoyed watching for fly tying is mainley flies

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When I started out a few years ago, another member here generously gave me some tying books to help get me going. They are a great resource and my deal with him was always that I would pass them on to others when the time was right. I've sent a number of them on their way, but still have a few. I'd be happy to send you all or some of them if you're interested. I've got two on western dry flies and one on tying and fishing lake flies.

I'm happy to ship at no cost to you, or if you are in the Seattle/Eastside area I may be able to hand off in person.

aheinz

Smolt
When I started out a few years ago, another member here generously gave me some tying books to help get me going. They are a great resource and my deal with him was always that I would pass them on to others when the time was right. I've sent a number of them on their way, but still have a few. I'd be happy to send you all or some of them if you're interested. I've got two on western dry flies and one on tying and fishing lake flies.

I'm happy to ship at no cost to you, or if you are in the Seattle/Eastside area I may be able to hand off in person.
Would love that, I'm down in the Tacoma area but willing to meet somewhere to get a book