June tying contest and May results:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Loosely defined, what elements make a woolly bugger a woolly bugger?
And is it woolly or wooly?

Divad

Whitefish
As the second fly I ever tied the wooly bugger is a pattern I need to return to. Some recent chatter on replacing fly boxes with this relic will probably be rehashed for the dawn of time.

@Matt B Wooly Bugger = tail, hackled body, shoulder. Get fancy or be plain, one feather to many, a single material or 50.

690624AE-3DFC-46FC-8957-42BBD3DAAA3E.jpeg
C75B5CEF-14EA-4CA9-A2A6-744A3510BE7A.jpeg

Divad

Whitefish
I like the wooly because the barrier to entry is almost non existent. Your golden retriever needs a clip? There’s your tail and dubbing loop shoulder with a fresh feather from the neighbor’s chicken as body.

Reactions: Zak

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
As the second fly I ever tied the wooly bugger is a pattern I need to return to. Some recent chatter on replacing fly boxes with this relic will probably be rehashed for the dawn of time.

@Matt B Wooly Bugger = tail, hackled body, shoulder. Get fancy or be plain, one feather to many, a single material or 50.

View attachment 67588
View attachment 67589
I can work with that. Seal buggers and the like for lakes need not apply.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Woolly Bugger is a fly with broad design parameters, so much so, that an entire book was written about them:
Woolly Wisdom, (2005) Gary Soucie. This is a fly that can easily resemble baitfish, leeches, large nymphs and even small crustaceans so variations on the basic design are essentially endless.

image.jpg
My takes on the Woolly Bugger are as follows:
Pine Squirrel Bugger: This fly is tied with a Finn Raccoon fur tail, palmered zonked pine squirrel overwrapped with medium wire.
E0E2A4FA-BB64-4499-A65D-0C6A5E3C025B.jpeg

EP Tarantula Brush Bugger: very similar to above Bugger but with EP Tarantula Brush for the rear body.
1875B549-A29A-4D0D-8631-6A045BCB6F47.jpeg
Firehole Demon: Designed specifically for the tea colored waters of the Firehole, Gibbon and Big rivers, this fly is an adaptation of the Australian “Shreck” fly and the Big Hole Demon patterns.
Tied with a marabou tail, polarflash body and Badger hackle. The Badger hackle over the flash body creates an effective small baitfish pattern.
238E9A4D-A68C-429D-AAF3-026E066BA6C8.jpeg

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I’ll bite😬

These are some burgers I tied up last September to swing on the Yak. They worked out real well and I just wanted to try something different.
IMG_6025.pngIMG_6026.png