NFR Jim Brown RIP

Non-fishing related

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Jim Brown was one of the greatest!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There are only a few that can/could play any era and he is one. At his size, his speed, and his stiff arm he would be top tier dog in todays nfl. And some of todays linebackers would hate tackling him.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
It's worth remembering that while he was an amazing football player, and pushed hard for civil rights at a time when that wasn't a common or respected thing for a famous sports person to do, he was also a piece of shit who beat women all through his life.

I'm not saying we can't honor the cool stuff he did while acknowledging the bad. Humans, even those who do amazing things, are complicated and imperfect beasts. You and me included.

But if Jim Brown wasn't good at carrying a ball and running, he'd be the kind of guy that most here would agree needed his teeth kicked in. That's something worth thinking about even after his passing.

Hem

Life of the Party
It's worth remembering that while he was an amazing football player, and pushed hard for civil rights at a time when that wasn't a common or respected thing for a famous sports person to do, he was also a piece of shit who beat women all through his life.

I'm not saying we can't honor the cool stuff he did while acknowledging the bad. Humans, even those who do amazing things, are complicated and imperfect beasts. You and me included.

But if Jim Brown wasn't good at carrying a ball and running, he'd be the kind of guy that most here would agree needed his teeth kicked in. That's something worth thinking about even after his passing.
Yeah, I read a piece this morning that acknowledged the good and bad.
Didn't ever hear about the bad before.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter

From the land of Manziel, Watson and others...

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yea…possibly the greatest running back in History…and one hell of a lacrosse player
Yes!! Many years ago I had dinner with a fellow who had the unfortunate task of trying to defend Jim Brown in lacrosse. He told me that as great as he was at football he was an even better lacrosse player. Scary.