Jetty trips

I've been to the jetty a few times recently, trying to get the craziness of the world out of my head. It hasn't really worked.
The wind direction tells me which side to fish, and I don't go if it's raining. The dry rocks are slick enough.
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.33.30 AM.png

Like the bigger world, the jetty can be an unforgiving place- small slips can lead to big problems. I got my foot stuck in a hole on a recent trip. It was a big water day and the swell was shooting up through the rocks as I tried to get it out, filling my boot and drenching my leg. It was spooky for a minute or so.

It is possible to catch these, but it isn't a regular occurrence. This smallish one had almost unbelievable blues.
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.09.52 AM.png

Once this...
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.10.55 AM.png

turns to this...
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.19.13 AM.png

you can catch a few of these.
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.11.41 AM.png

Prepare to lose some flies, and try to pick up some garbage on your way out.

Last edited:
B

bennysbuddy

neat report ,I have found those jetty trails are longer on the way back than they were when I was walking in.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Those lings get bigger if you switch to spinning gear and glo jig heads with bait....
Suggestion for jetty fishing safety at night time?? Get one or two of those Nite Ize joggers safety arm band lites . Wear one on you, and use the other to mark your gear . Theyre usually only about $10.00 at Wally World . And they have a red blinking feature too.

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
I fished the jetty at Westport once and wouldn't do it again. Too treacherous. The fishing wasn't good either, but that may have just been my poor jetty fishing skills. I saw some others who did ok who ventured further out than me. As my friend and I were in the the parking lot at the state park getting ready to leave an aid car pulled up and these two paramedics ran out onto the beach. There was an overturned boat with some people hanging on to it among the breakers. A CG boat was just outside the breakers but couldnt get in close to them. Eventually some surfers noticed and paddled out to them. There were two couples on the boat. They were kissing the ground when they got to the beach. They had a nice boat, maybe 20-22 ft. It got trashed by the surf. It was a real shame but at least everyone was ok.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
Womder how big the fine and rescue fees were??
I would love to find out. I play soccer with a bunch of the coast guard guys and they were completely baffled by this scenario. At one point it looks like he hops out of the truck to light a smoke. What a nut

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Like.. His truck keeps getting hit, yet he just keeps going. This may be one of the most blatant displays of human stupidity I've seen in a while.
Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Like.. His truck keeps getting hit, yet he just keeps going. This may be one of the most blatant displays of human stupidity I've seen in a while.
He might have been wanting to find a place to turn around. Can't believe somebody would ignore warning signs and flags, but apparently that guy needed a flashing billboard and probably still would have ignored it.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
He might have been wanting to find a place to turn around. Can't believe somebody would ignore warning signs and flags, but apparently that guy needed a flashing billboard and probably still would have ignored it.
It takes a lot of effort just to get out to that point. Like he had to fight just to get out there. I wish someone had a drone out there

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I used to fish Oregon coast jetties for black rockfish and perch in spring. It should be heating up right now. It can be dangerous, I got hit once by a massive wave on the return journey. I clutched onto a rock like a starfish and held my breath until the wave swept through, then rock hopped out of the danger zone.