Jet boats

MT406

Steelhead
Anyone on here using a jet boat in MT?

I’m looking for something in the 16-18ft range that I can use for hunting & fishing through out Montana. 70/30 split between river and lake use. Mostly fish with one or two people max so I don’t need a lot of room.

I’m really torn on whether to get a hand tiller or a center console. I have Crestliner and G3 for dealers in my area. The hand tiller with a jet run around 20-23k & the center console runs about 30-32k. Any one own a hand tiller, who regrets not having a center console?

Here are some boats that have peaked my interest. I like the idea of casting braces and oars. D8A04FF2-2932-4F15-87A5-687694612581.png2103B710-09EF-43D6-818F-55D64137E5FC.png

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I haven't run a jet boat in MT, but I'm hard pressed to imagine it would be much different than running mine in WA. I have a tiller drive 16', but have driven console models, usually larger. A console model uses more deck space, so a larger boat would be desirable. But I didn't want a larger boat. I don't find myself wishing I had a CC drive, but they are admittedly more comfortable if making a continuous long run. I mostly make short runs from one fishing spot to another. And mine cost way less than $20k.

MT406

Steelhead
I haven't run a jet boat in MT, but I'm hard pressed to imagine it would be much different than running mine in WA. I have a tiller drive 16', but have driven console models, usually larger. A console model uses more deck space, so a larger boat would be desirable. But I didn't want a larger boat. I don't find myself wishing I had a CC drive, but they are admittedly more comfortable if making a continuous long run. I mostly make short runs from one fishing spot to another. And mine cost way less than $20k.
Would you mind sharing a picture of your set up ?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tiller = bigger dance floor, faster turning .
CC = better forward vision, much more comfortable on longer runs.
Personally feel at 16' a tiller the call, 18' and over a CC deserves serous consideration.
Crestliner is owned by Brunswick/Mercury and packaged with a Merc OB.
G3 is owned by Yamaha and packaged with a Yami OB.
Both are solid boats, both excellent motors, would carefully pencil out the hp/displacement/weight of the OB's as well as their respective pump details before deciding. Can never go wrong with a stainless impeller on the pump, usually standard on Yami, after market with Merc.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Tiller = bigger dance floor, faster turning .
CC = better forward vision, much more comfortable on longer runs.
Personally feel at 16' a tiller the call, 18' and over a CC deserves serous consideration.
totally agree with this. I’m not in MT but here’s my opinion

If making runs longer than 10miles or so at a time, probably worth going cc. I rarely do that so my tiller is fine.

Think a lot about what you want to do with this - do you want a jet that is like a rowboat/drifter with motor or do you want a boat that you can run fast with a couple people and use it as a spot hopper? If planning to row it, keep it light and smaller ob with tiller is good. If running 3 or more and want to go fast you’ll need the larger size motors but they won’t row as well.

I run a 16’ 40/30 Yamaha tiller on an old aluminum boat. It works well for 3 guys and gear but I don’t go too fast (about 21/22mph top speed) and takes an extra few seconds to get on plane. So I need to plan before trying to head through a skinny section but that’s no problem.

Tohatsu is making lighter outboards than other manufacturers. And the tohatsus are really nice but at a pretty hefty premium. I’d think either merc or yammy would be fine.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
the new lineup of Tohatsu motors is looking excellent - lightest in class and come with EFI, so no choke immediate starting, max power and mileage.

SSPey

loco alto!
Most folks in my neck of the woods with short runs to fishing favor tillers, even on boats up to 23’. On my 17.5’ the open floor is great for maximizing fishing / casting space, there is no center console to get in the way, ever. It has oars but not surprisingly, rows like a pig with a 375 lb outboard and 100 lb kicker hanging off the stern. Finally, though motor weight is very important, so is overall balance (i.e., put the fuel and battery up front!). Pay attention to displacement, too, it gives low-end torque for holeshot and getting on step, whereas total horsepower (rpm x torque) is more for high-end cruising.

Most people in Oregon run tillers up 28’ some 30’.I have a Koffler blunt nose special 22’ with tiller have run up 30 miles in one trip no problems,the wider and flatter a boat becomes the easier it is to row I use 10’ oars it moves around good but it is not a drift boat .The sea arc would be my choice with a tiller you will love it,boat prices are on the rise scrap aluminum is going up buy so or you will be sad with the 20% plus increase you will enjoy it

MT406

Steelhead
I’ve tried looking for a used Sea Ark and they’re almost impossible to find. The ones I have seen are East/ South East. Bit of a drive from MT..

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
First off, it depends on what type of water that you plan on running in.
I fish that stretch in your youtube video and it's pretty placid compared to most waters. The lower Yellowstone, for instance, can get a lot more interesting.

I bought this 1754 Tracker used about 10 years ago and it has been a good fit for the waters I fish.
Big enough to be comfortable but still light enough to control your drift with oars.
The center console does take up space but I like being farther forward to better read the water when I'm on the move.

P5200045 (3).JPG
I pad the cooler and use it as my rowing seat.

P5200043 (3).JPG
IMG_1983.JPG
This was a pleasure ride with my wife but if you look closely you can see the camo seat behind me which is normally on a pedestal if fishing.

Thought I had better throw in a fish picture for good measure.:)
P5290556-001 (2).JPG

Attachments

• P5200045 (3).JPG
    P5200045 (3).JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 3

G_Smolt

Legend
Big fan of tillers on all size jets - no prop torque, so they're super-easy to hold on to. I've had both console and tiller jets, and while it doesn't really matter in non-technical water, I'm of the school of thought that likes one hand for controlling throttle/steering and one hand to hold the hell on when conditions get...spicy.