I've never fished Samish Lake

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's worth noting that boats under 16ft & 10hp are only $20 w/test and kayaks and non motorized "boats" are free w/test.

Nobody likes paying fees, but keep in mind that Lake Whatcom is the area's drinking water supply (and it's a very nice and clean one generally). Getting it clogged up with zebra mussels or other invasive species would cause huge problems that would take millions and millions to mitigate, if that were even possible. So we have to deal with the inspections in the hope that it can be avoided.

Yeah, it's aimed at keeping people like this off the water:

View attachment 90515

As with most things, lazy assholes are to blame here. If people took care of their shit, there wouldn't be a problem. But because we are a deeply stupid society, we have to have AIS checkpoints and fees.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for inspections. And I understand the struggle against zebra mussels and the like. I just don't like that 95% of us that do keep our boats clean are the ones paying the way. Such is life it seems.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for inspections. And I understand the struggle against zebra mussels and the like. I just don't like that 95% of us that do keep our boats clean are the ones paying the way. Such is life it seems.
Yeah, I hear you there. Idiots ruin things for everyone.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I generally think these people are assholes. But I also have seen far too many crappy casts hit people's docked boats and loud ass jerks racing around making wakes where they should be quiet and slow. So I'd probably be pretty pissed too after a few years of that.
I have a boat and dock on Lake Washington. I have always allowed/encouraged fisherfolk to fish near my property, even though I do have one ding in my gelcoat from an errant lead jig cast. (the jig ended up wrapping around the upright of my lift, apparently they did not want to be around long enough to remove it).

I particularly enjoy hooking fish on a fly rod right in front of them from my dock...

Last edited:

onefish

Steelhead
Funny bit about that, bass fisherman have caused around $7k in damage at my grandpas cabin. First time was hooking the foot valve on one of the intakes with a soft plastic jig head, blocking intake and causing the pump to need repair.

Second time was pulling the entire waterline up when anchored requiring a new line installed and bracings replaced.

Another bass guy broke the plastics on the neighbors seadoo handles with a poor cast to his dock. Bass fisherman suck, doing it with a fly likely wouldn’t cause any of these issues aside from the anchor bit.
Another reason to eradicate any bass you catch.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I'd like to thank all of you for responding to this thread. It has been most informative. I'm thinking that using my float tube, fishing for bass with an unweighted Senko around the (easy to get to) "Docks and Rocks" would be a good initial approach. Perhaps I could later try using a fly rod with a soft hackle for some Smallmouth. This site sure does educate me...thanks again folks.