Is your desk a mess?

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I for the most part try and keep my tying desk clean. The wife usually doesn’t bust my chops about it. But when I start on a tying frenzy…..Lord knows I don’t need anymore flys.

How about you?DB196CB6-CE9B-478F-8D1C-48A3BCA332B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Yes.
Everyone has a driving force in their life, be it religion, ambition, thrill seeking, or love.
I'm quite positive that mine is entropy.
I'm clean (i.e. I dust, scrub, sanitize surfaces, etc) but no matter how often I straighten things up, they seem to look like this hours later:20200131_152652.jpg
My spouse - by his own admission - is "clutterblind", so no help there, motivation-wise!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Given how terrible my "work" desk is, I can't imagine how a tying desk would look if I actually tied flies more than once in a blue moon.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Yes.
Everyone has a driving force in their life, be it religion, ambition, thrill seeking, or love.
I'm quite positive that mine is entropy.
I'm clean (i.e. I dust, scrub, sanitize surfaces, etc) but no matter how often I straighten things up, they seem to look like this hours later:View attachment 9405
My spouse - by his own admission - is "clutterblind", so no help there, motivation-wise!
Yes!!!!

RCF

Life of the Party
Guess I am lucky. I do not even have a desk to mess up. Just a cutting board...

1647898054398.jpeg

ALL of my fly tie materials (30+ years of collecting materials) and tools fit in that green bag.
If I want to tie outside I pickup my bag and the cutting board and move it. Setup is quick 'n easy.
To store it put everything in the bag and cutting board in the cabinet above.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Guess I am lucky. I do not even have a desk to mess up. Just a cutting board...

View attachment 9408

ALL of my fly tie materials (30+ years of collecting materials) and tools fit in that green bag.
If I want to tie outside I pickup my bag and the cutting board and move it. Setup is quick 'n easy.
To store it put everything in the bag and cutting board in the cabinet above.
I don’t think my 20+ years of materials would fit in that green bag….😬2409D430-DC2F-4D19-AEEC-EF39C21A2C3D.jpeg64E92900-C3EE-4CC9-ACD4-228B15E3709C.jpeg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I wonder if one of those strong magnet strips that people use for storing kitchen knives would work well for scissors, bodkins, tweezers, hackle pliers, and the like. Has anyone tried that? Getting my often-used thread, tinsel and wire spools up above the desk really helped.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I wonder if one of those strong magnet strips that people use for storing kitchen knives would work well for scissors, bodkins, tweezers, hackle pliers, and the like. Has anyone tried that? Getting my often-used thread, tinsel and wire spools up above the desk really helped.

IIRC, less than $5 at Harbor Freight
(I stand when tying, so below desk works for me)
20211205_203100.jpg

onefish

Steelhead
I used to end up with capt chaos on my desk top. I now try and do 5 minutes worth of straightening things up once a week. This does wonders to keep things manageable. I find a somewhat organized desk to be less stressful and adds to the enjoyment of tying.

Last edited: