Is this insect damage on these feathers?

Ordered a full ruffed grouse skin recently that arrived about a week ago but hadn't taken a close look at it until today and I pulled a few feathers out to tie with. I expect a few damaged feathers on a skin but I'm seeing there are a lot with broken barbs (see pic for a couple of examples). Opinions on if this is insect damage or something else? Regardless of the cause I'm requesting a refund or replacement from the seller.

IMG_0535.jpg

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Ordered a full ruffed grouse skin recently that arrived about a week ago but hadn't taken a close look at it until today and I pulled a few feathers out to tie with. I expect a few damaged feathers on a skin but I'm seeing there are a lot with broken barbs (see pic for a couple of examples). Opinions on if this is insect damage or something else? Regardless of the cause I'm requesting a refund or replacement from the seller.

View attachment 49365
Yes. Moth larvae I believe.
Were there any residue or crumbly grit like substance in the bag.

ABITNF

Steelhead
Hard for me to tell. If there's residue in the bag like bug excrement than I'd say yes. I've seen some pretty sad looking bird skins. Keep in mind these are wild birds and feathers on wild birds can sometimes be a little tattered.

longputt

Steelhead
That can easily be damage from the pen, particularly for young birds in a pen.

Even young wild birds have rough edges. Out of 100 ruffed grouse I've shot I'll bet one was a mature bird and it is crazy how beautiful they are.

SS's suggestion is great.