Is there a Skagit catch and release season in Spring 2023?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I feel like I should know this already or could just look it up somewhere in the 200 page regulations book. But I figure I'll get better info from folks on this site than from anything WDFW publishes.

Is there a spring CnR season on the Skagit in 2023? If not, why not?

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I really like your ? I don't live any where near the Skagit but there should be C&R seasons on all the PNW rivers. JMO

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
They dont usually announce it until dec-Jan if I recall. I really hope they do this year, when they close it the Sack becomes a zoo.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
They dont usually announce it until dec-Jan if I recall. I really hope they do this year, when they close it the Sack becomes a zoo.

The Nooksack is just a zoo nowadays period thanks to the internet. I witnessed a camera man filming a tv show during steelhead season early this year. I take several days off during the week to fish it every year in the winter and it seems like it’s the same guys and the same boats day after day so I assumed it was just the usually Whatcom County trustafarians or wannabe guides.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I really like your ? I don't live any where near the Skagit but there should be C&R seasons on all the PNW rivers. JMO

I agree, as closing them hasn’t created any future angling opportunities (because most will never open again)….or fish.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Josh,

I'm late but just started asking for information yesterday. There were personnel changes in the R4, LaConner district office this past year. I'll post 2022 wild steelhead escapement just as soon as I get it. WDFW and the Skagit tribes don't usually have the 2022 - 2023 winter steelhead runsize forcast until the first week of December, but I'm asking about it anyway because people are trying to make travel plans for the spring season if there is one.

Sg

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
The Nooksack is just a zoo nowadays period thanks to the internet. I witnessed a camera man filming a tv show during steelhead season early this year. I take several days off during the week to fish it every year in the winter and it seems like it’s the same guys and the same boats day after day so I assumed it was just the usually Whatcom County trustafarians or wannabe guides.
This past winter I ran into more out-of-towners than I have ever seen on the Nook. I also saw several YouTube vids being filmed, one was a youtuber I recognized from south of Seattle. Disappointing to see.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
No kidding. I saw more vehicles parked at the Hwy 9 bridge this past Sunday than I've ever seen before. What a shame.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I legitimately cant imagine traveling to fish the nooksack. How bad can their home rivers possibly be? Sure when it's the only water open I get it, but there were 6 trucks at the pullout with me on the weekend fishing a trickle of a piss of a stream.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I honestly love the Nooksack because it is gorgeous and close to me and if you know a river well you can do alright. I wouldn’t tell anyone to travel to fish the Nooksack ever. I’d go to the shit show Forks any time over the Nooksack if I was traveling. Nooksack is turbid and ever changing. It is beautiful more than bountiful.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I honestly love the Nooksack because it is gorgeous and close to me and if you know a river well you can do alright. I wouldn’t tell anyone to travel to fish the Nooksack ever. I’d go to the shit show Forks any time over the Nooksack if I was traveling. Nooksack is turbid and ever changing. It is beautiful more than bountiful.
That's the perfect summation of why I fish it. Throw in that I learned to fish on it and its tribs and I'm happy with the paltry few it gives up.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Well said, buddy.