Is There a Best Color for Attracting Fish?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I came across this in a Tenkara forum from an angler who believes analysis of colors that attract fish to strike lures and power bait could apply to (hotspot) colors for fly tying. It is interesting that often the colors look completely different when underwater. This video is unique in that absence of movement of the bait (opposed to action of a lure) removes a variable.

Thoughts?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I think special colors, flash and hotspots work well on stocked fish, for two reasons.

1. Their size is often incongruous with the biomass of the river, so they will eat anything and there is more emphasis on getting their attention.

2. They are less intelligent.

In contrast, I find that those things work poorly on wild fish, for the opposite reasons. There are always exceptions, though. For example, a period of unfavorable conditions might make a wild trout behave the same way.

FWIW, I once went down the rabbit hole of color theories and asked Devin Olsen for his thoughts on my findings. He said that he doesn't think about those sorts of things anymore, because there are too many variables and they rarely translate into results. He concluded that fly design is more of an art than a science. He encouraged me to find patterns that work and develop a rotation, rather than try to figure out why the patterns work.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Remember these? Roland Martin used to use one on his show sometimes.

Just to figure how to rig it up on a sling pack. Maybe mount the dial to the shoulder strap and put the sensor on a re-tractor or magnet mount.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Green, brown, black, purple, blue, yellow, red…
They all work on wild or hatchery brats.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Depends on the depths the colors are viewed from. Here's a page from Richard Stoll's book about salmon fishing and what fish can see.View attachment 33264View attachment 33265
I love this but I'm drawing a slightly different conclusion. Most of my river salmon have come on reds, oranges and pink. I'm wondering if losing the color might not be an advantage? That whatever color red/yellow/orange become when they get to deep, the salmon are used to it and comfortable seeing.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Is it Color or Contrast??

Thanks for the link, good read. I like the contrast break from the hares mask in my tails better than feathers, as well as the colors, and orange thread (burnt often)/hot spots.

Attachments

• 20220922_092337[1].jpg
    20220922_092337[1].jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 5
Would 100% be dependent on the body of water, time of year, and all the other variables that contribute. On the Yak purples and reds are generally my go to....Last year I took a trip to Montana, Fished Rock Creek and couldn't buy a bite on those colors. All forms of green, from olive to chartreuse, were game on.

To add, while fishing the Beaverhead on the same trip, the fished seem to be keyed on the reds and purples that I would normally fish in the Yak.

I guess the simple answer is....IDK :)

CCW

Otter

Steelhead
Do different colours of Power Bait have different scents? And what about that purple paste he used? If scent is involved with those artificial baits, how about a similar experiment with different coloured corkies?

RCF

Life of the Party
Bingo! You win. If there could be just one option, peacock would have to be it.

I agree.!

In lakes the second color is medium olive. Peacock has so many colors depending on the sun. A little flash never hurts IMHO.

But medium olive always works too.. Have no idea about power bait but I consistently catch more and larger fish than power bait fisher people. Just sayin'.... I am used to people following me when I troll cussing at me by other gear/bait fisher people regarding how many I catch...

Last edited:

headduck

Steelhead
Interesting.

From what I learned in designing for supporting circadian rhythm in buildings... largely influenced by light exposure...

Color is function of
>source spectrum content and intensity (daylight can vary from 50,000k -super blue to less than 4,000k more amber)
>the medium its traveling through (reflection/refraction)
>the color and properties of what the light is reflecting off (red bait absorbs all spectrum but red, and if there is a minimum red content in the light, itll show black)
>action spectrum of eye (the colors that can be percieved and at what intensity- we see green best)...

So seems sunny days should be different than cloudy. Turbid water different than clear. Shallow different than deep.

Then question is... can the fish even perceive the color difference or is environmental contrast trigger, shape, motion more of a trigger?

Power bait scent is largely a proprietary amino blend...some early patents are available. I know the Gulp saltwater produce strikes with when nothing else will.

Did a bit of literature review regarding the application of aminos in fisheries... freakin fascinating.

Still trying to figure the color thing but... in salt I default to chartreuse and blue... in the river it varies widely. Havent sorted the amino deal either... still milling on it.

Last edited: