Is it bad luck to....

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Ok, we've all heard the old fisherman's rule that it's bad luck to catch a fish on your first cast of the day.
What about catching one before the first cast.
Last week I launched my float tube in a Central Washington lake and flipped out a ways to get things arranged for my day of fishing.
My primary rig o' the day was my 8.5' sage RPL 5wt with a intermediate line and my newest go to fly a orange/olive ostrich bead head sz 10 jig leech.
To get set for the day I placed the rod in the rod holder and got my forceps, net etc. in place. I looked at my rod and it was doubled over, tip underwater.
I had the leader and 5 or 6 feet of line pulled out the rod tip in the water and a suicidal rainbow grabbed the leech. 😄
I landed the trout and sent him on his way, quite pleased with myself. 😎
Later at the end of my day I was kicking back towards the launch casting as I fished my way back. I felt the leech stop and I set the hook. Shit, hung up!
I kicked my way to the opposite side of where my fly was hung up. I pulled on the line and felt a odd spongy, stretchy, wiggly feeling. Dang, I must have a fish on.😯
I pulled on the line and was able to gain a little. The fish jumped, cool.
I was still hung up but was able to reach my leader.
Grabbing the leader I pulled it up and found a big wad of line, sinker and swivel with a 14" rainbow snagged in the side by a size 8 bait hook.
I dislodged the hook from the hapless little booger and sent him on his way to the trout infirmary to recover from the ordeal.
Fishing was real good that day landing 15 fish sandwiched between the odd beginning and even more weird end.
Some cool swallows nests.
20220425_143119.jpg
20220421_165411.jpg20220424_122311.jpg
20220426_224745.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Great report. Yes, been there. My wife had her spin rod and the spoon hanging in the water. I pushed the canoe out from the launch, and before I had my foot inside her rod was bent and the fish was splashing around on top because the drag was so tight. The bank fishers went nuts.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I guess if you caught 15 fish, including that last one you saved, it isn't bad luck, more like charmed. Well done, Fred!!

Ps. I hope to test my variation of your "orange/olive ostrich bead head sz 10 jig leech"*; since I didn't have the barred ostrich plume, the dyed green Amherst pheasant tail with a mix of brown ostrich herl will have to suffice.

fly needs a name, Fred's Guaranteed?

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Nice report and interesting surprise catches.
Several years ago, on a B.C. lake, I was on shore pushing away on my pontoon boat with 5-6 ‘ of leader out. I began to lift my rod and began a forward cast when I noticed a 4” baby trout on the end of my line.

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A situation when the curse of the first cast fish hold true is when you catch a brook trout on the Big Hole. Usually don't encounter them on the lower river and if you do it means the brookies aren't fearing predation right then. Real poor omen for the float.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Among other things it keeps human scent off your flys/leader. Helps keep hands warm and dry. Also provides uv sun protection. Also keeps hands from drying out and cracking when fishing multiple days in a row.
If you're not in the nitrile game you're not fishing enough. I used black ones underneath my turkey gloves. Keeps the skin from shining when the glove comes off, can work the slate call with them and its huge to have that extra layer in the morning cold.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think you avoided "bad luck on the first cast" there since, like mentioned, you hadn't actually casted. I'm not superstitious, but man...I've had at least 3 times when I felt like I got bit by the first cast or at least the first minute bugaboo. What is really annoying is when you get setup to bobber fish and get hit on the first cast and then nothing.... so you switch flies, switch depths, etc, nothing....ok, while we're anchored up here, lets cast and strip my go to bugger, bam! First cast and then nothing..... At this point I usually start kicking or rowing around and troll & strip my way to hopefully a couple more fish, but I've had days when those were the only 2.

The only first cast bad luck I like is steelhead. ;) Have had a couple of those and I'll take it every time!

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Launch tube, release fly from hook keeper and drop it in the lake. Start stripping line off my reel to make a cast. Notice sound of line shooting through the guides on my rod. Lift rod, fish on! No cast required ;)

T

Tombraider

I know salmon fishing and Steelhead fishing folks do the same for cent. Just not seen it fly fishing. Whatever works.