Intermediate Line

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter

Informative...

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
Yes it is.

I read that earlier today and thought it was worth saving for those who may ask in the future.
I've taken some heat over the years for carrying and using them in some saltwater situations, often thought to be the domain of floating lines. Regionality and custom are hard nuts to crack sometimes.

Thanks,

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing! There's some interesting information about intermediate lines that I hadn't considered; that constant contact with the fly where a floating line conforms to waves = slack. Huh!

I see the line Chico likes for saltwater fishing retails for $80 LESS than the new SA Magnitude intermediate. Cortland's 444 intermediate retails for $69.95; quite the bargain for a flyline these days.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I've used an intermediate line fo lake fishing for years. Great for fishing leeches and scuds around weed beds, as well as emerging nymphs.
I really like FHI Scandi heads for trout spey, and for steelhead during the middle of the day.
I used a 54' Gaelforce intermediate spey line quite a bit last fall with some success. Cuts through the wind, and is unaffected by wind chop and boat wakes.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
My new intermediate line doesn't sink. It wants to float in sections before it starts sinking. Annoying. Hoping it gets dirty or something and starts working. Any pointers on getting it to work.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Keep your rod tip under the surface throughout your retrieve. Should get it sinking within a few casts.
I've gotten so used to that with almost all of my fishing that it takes me a bit while dry fly fishing for trout to keep my tip out of the water! between that and strip setting on the euro rod... 🤦‍♂️

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've also fished an intermediate "still water " line for years and have seen a lot of anglers with floating lines on the same lakes and I seem to get a lot more hookups than they do. I had one guy ask me what fly I was using and I gave him one but told him that wasn't why I was hooking more than he was. In my opinion it was the line. that said I always have a second rod for fishing dries in the event a hatch starts. After fishing a few hours I reel in the clear line and cast the dry out and tell the fish to not bother me while I'm having lunch.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
My new intermediate line doesn't sink. It wants to float in sections before it starts sinking. Annoying. Hoping it gets dirty or something and starts working. Any pointers on getting it to work.

Wipe it down with rubbing alcohol or buff it with steel wool. Both were suggested to me by a fly shop, per the manufacturer’s recommendation and someone who makes lines for dealing with intermediate lines that didn’t sink.
SF

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I fish an intermediate and a hover line. I've experienced the line float too.

When your cast lands on the water, give it a lttle tug and that should break the surface tension.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
#0000 steel wool and just lightly buff the line
All these techniques to get our intermediate lines to sink when we could just be using them as floating lines. I seem to have a hard time keeping a couple of my floating lines floating. (jk.)

My more than a decade old Cortland Camo (WF5I) always floats for several casts, the tug on it while submerging the rod tip helps. Eventually the line either gets "waterlogged" or "dirty" or "used to sinking again". I keep thinking I need to replace it but it just keeps on not cracking, not breaking and sometimes catching fish.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My Clearwater intermediate did that last year. Yesterday I used it and it worked like it was supposed to. Maybe it just got used enough. Now if I can just figure out how to catch fish with it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
#0000 steel wool and just lightly buff the line

Yep, I should have noted “fine” when I commented on the steel wool. It helps cut gloss and any possible surface static as it was explained to me by the person who suggested it.
Some manufacturers put a coating on their lines which will wear off over time and they’ll start sinking better, but the alcohol wipe helps speed up the process. That was recommended by a shop per the manufacturer.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
The surface static and 'slimy' type coating seems to be what slows the initial descent of the line, it's like the surface tension of the water holds the line on top for too long...line can't break it.
I notice some lines are worse than others, but to some extent, the newer the line the more pronounced the effect.
Never tried alcohol, but that may be better, and take less time.