Interior BC patterns?

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't see blobs mentioned, worthwhile to have some. While @PeteM mentions pumpkinheads*, how about plain damselfly nymphs in a few muted colors (colours - BC, eh), last year Keith slayed 'em casting skinny, sparsely dressed tan coloured damselfly nymphs towards shore, close to shore, while Herb and I tried to figure out why our mayfly emergers were being mostly ignored. Sometimes it's the streamer that gets the bite. Bring the kitchen sink.

* Thread drift: A guide we've used a few times in the Thompson Nicola area told us he was fishing Tunkwa/Leighton and catching some fish. He caught a big, fat ripe hen and "milked the doe" (his term for squeezing roe from the ripe hen). He noticed that damselfly nymphs were eating the eggs so he came up with the idea for the pumpkin head.

Good luck, we'll be up there May 29th through June 6th.
flyguys on youtube has lots of good bc patterns, also john kent on instagram, also look at (and maybe purchase) some of the flies online from little fort fly shop (sort by popularity). Or just tie and fish exactly what troutpocket posted above.
Great to see John Kent brought up twice in this thread.

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
I don't know how his record with innovation compares with John Kent's, but Trevor Tatarczuk (one of the BC Fly Guys) is another BC tyer worth following. :) :)
EDIT - Just thought of another BC tyer of note: Wes Penny & his Flame Lily Flies. Wes is quite an innovator.

Last edited:

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't know how his record with innovation compares with John Kent's, but Trevor Tatarczuk (one of the BC Fly Guys) is another BC tyer worth following. :) :)
EDIT - Just thought of another BC tyer of note: Wes Penny & his Flame Lily Flies. Wes is quite an innovator.
Trevor’s chironomids are just gorgeous, in that “I actually look like a midge pupae, but I’m also gloriously sleek and stunning!”, sort of way.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
If I were planning that trip I’d be covering chironomids, callibaetis, scuds, and leeches. I enjoy the indicator game and I’ve generally found that the patterns I fish locally work in BC lakes as well. Certainly trolling Careys and Boobies can get it done anytime.
Dragons, damsels and may fly nymphs to add to this list.

I spend a lot of time in BC in the summer and I always have 2 rods rigged up with: 1) a Ruby Eyed Leech and 2) an ice cone chronomid black body red rib. I start with these patterns and vary the sizes based on the lake and weather and the hatches I see. If these patterns don't work I switch to a Carey Special or Doc Spratley. Of course if a Traveling sage hatch is on, then its time to strip a surface big bushy caddis pattern like a Mikulak Sedge. In BC lakes you can really get by with maybe just 5 fly patterns of varying sizes and colors. But, for sure the #1 producer for me is Bryan Chan's Ruby Eyed Leech: