Interesting rod design

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This artic silver thing has been around for some time and if it was such a juicy hot dog with excellent mustard it would have caught on by now. Imho. It hasn’t. Stick with the stick with cork grips

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I shall ride to my favorite fishing hole on my bike with a revolutionary fart cleft bicycle seat, carrying my revolutionary Zense cleft handled fishing pole. Experts all agree that both revolutionary designs allow one to manage energy in a fundamentally more efficient manner...whether it be bike-borne flatulence or fighting a monster fish.
main-qimg-ad778dc23d7064963e8ce564ef8ff4d6-lq.jpeg

RCF

Life of the Party
I shall ride to my favorite fishing hole on my bike with a revolutionary fart cleft bicycle seat, carrying my revolutionary Zense cleft handled fishing pole. Experts all agree that both revolutionary designs allow one to manage energy in a fundamentally more efficient manner...whether it be bike-borne flatulence or fighting a monster fish.
View attachment 88580

Well endowed? Or????

flybill

Life of the Party
I’ve seen these on a few sites where folks are fishing the salt for sea trout in Europe.
Very interesting design.
SF

I've cast these rods.. weird grip to me, but I understand why they're doing it.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
clever packaging of lines in a flybox

View attachment 88502
Having bought one of their lines before, I can attest to the fact that the line box is novel, but functionally stupid. Who makes a fly box out of cardboard and expects anyone to actually use it?

I’d rather they just shipped the line in a paper envelope I can recycle.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
View attachment 88580

LOL...I just got back into riding after a 20 year layoff. I got my bro the ironman to set me up. He got me a bike with that seat and that kicker core. He told me why that was a good seat. I told him the valley wasn't big enough for me.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Intriguing because the salt environment is tough on gear. If they have made strong progress towards solving for that… in a rod that casts well, I’d give it shot. Generally, I don’t care what my gear looks like if it functions appropriately. My first question; have you designed to prevent clouserization?

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I think what bugs me about that grip design is that these are "rod grips" done by a master craftsmen. The AS grip looks like mass produced grips just epoxyed on the blank for easy cheap fast mass production. I know which grip I want. It isan interesting that style because I can see how the feel of the blank can change as the blank can bend deeper into the grip area. It might actually feel good on say a fiberglass or slow blank like the IM6 of the old days. I can't really see an advantage with fast graphite of today where you don't really want that slow progressive taper blank. The only place you see those are 2 hand steelhead guys and as a group they are much more traditional using classic click pawl reels. The steelheaders I know would laugh you back to the truck if you showed up on the river with one of those funny handle rods.

Attachments

• IMG_2465-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_2465-1024x768.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 14

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
LOL...I just got back into riding after a 20 year layoff. I got my bro the ironman to set me up. He got me a bike with that seat and that kicker core. He told me why that was a good seat. I told him the valley wasn't big enough for me.
The split bicycle seat designs go back at least 100 years. Their current reputed advantage is that the design reduces potentially damaging pressure on some important nerves in the perineal area. I'm certain your Ironman bro will tell you (quite correctly) that a soft cushy seat on a bike is inefficient, heavy, as well as uncomfortable. You must ride a lot and break yourself into the seat. High quality bike seats are kinda like chainsaws...you eventually find and use the one you hate the least.

When I started riding motorcycles, after many decades of bicycle touring and commuting, I was amused to find my MC friends constantly bitching about how uncomfortable their MC seats were and sometimes spent a lot of money on all sorts of custom seats with gel inserts. Having ridden bicycles for so many years I found any stock MC seat quite luxurious compared to the 'fence post' feel of a bike seat.

As for the 'innovative' rod grip design; I'm always suspicious of wildly exuberant marketing assertions that an extremely experienced and competent industry like flyrod manufacturing somehow completely 'missed the boat' on fundamental flyrod design. I think advances in flyrod and flyline design nowadays really come down to improvements in materials science and fabrication technology.

Last edited:

fatbillybob

Steelhead
The split bicycle seat designs go back at least 100 years. Their current reputed advantage is that the design reduces potentially damaging pressure on some important nerves in the perineal area. I'm certain your Ironman bro will tell you (quite correctly) that a soft cushy seat on a bike is inefficient, heavy, as well as uncomfortable. You must ride a lot and break yourself into the seat. High quality bike seats are kinda like chainsaws...you eventually find and use the one you hate the least.

When I started riding motorcycles, after many decades of bicycle touring and commuting, I was amused to find my MC friends constantly bitching about how uncomfortable their MC seats were and sometimes spent a lot of money on all sorts of custom seats with gel inserts. Having ridden bicycles for so many years I found any stock MC seat quite luxurious compared to the 'fence post' feel of a bike seat.

As for the 'innovative' rod grip design; I'm always suspicious of wildly exuberant marketing assertions that an extremely experienced and competent industry like flyrod manufacturing somehow completely 'missed the boat' on fundamental flyrod design. I think advances in flyrod and flyline design nowadays really come down to improvements in materials science and fabrication technology.

Absolutely, We are getting to the point in rod design like the tooth brush. LOL... Now it's about colors, shapes, and "advanced" bristle shapes. Being an older brother, I tried not to listen to my younger 8x ironman brother... Damn or course he was right about everything bicycle including how I needed to train to get back in shape.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That's on ugly rod!
I’ve seen these on a few sites where folks are fishing the salt for sea trout in Europe.
Very interesting design.
SF

Nothing sez Arctic like Padukah, Kentucky!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Nothing sez Arctic like Padukah, Kentucky!

:ROFLMAO: Cheap overhead!
That said, I'm glad some European based tackle companies are are establishing US operations. I hope more do the same as well.
SF