Interesting rod design

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve seen these on a few sites where folks are fishing the salt for sea trout in Europe.
Very interesting design.
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter

The "Whoohoo" Effect!​

The blank of a Free-Flex fly rod is attached to the handle just under your hand.
Any time you fight a fish, the energy from the fish frantically trying to get
away from you, will be transferred through the blank, directly into the palm
of your hand. This really will put a smile on you face! WhooHoo!

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Can a rod builder explain why that split grip is an improvement? Does it increase the bend of the butt section or something? Looks f'n hideous

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Can a rod builder explain why that split grip is an improvement? Does it increase the bend of the butt section or something? Looks f'n hideous
I think the idea is you get more of the feel of the cast and fight transferred directly to your hand (enhancing the feel) since the handle isn't absorbing the bend at the top of the grip.

Not a rod builder, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I got to a point a long time ago where new “tech” began to take away more of my enjoyment on the water than it was giving me… we have enough of it in our everyday lives.

I think I’ll pass.
Coming from a bamboo guy like you? ;-) I'm partial to my soiled cork grips and don't see any need for whatever this new split grip is.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

No idea, but those folks over there come up with some interesting stuff.
I just wish some of the brands they use were more readily available in the US.
SF

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Maybe it’s their intent to improve upon the “Comficient Grip” that was patented back in 1932, and made famous by South Bend.

You can’t blame them for triying. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_6658.jpeg

This was my Grandpa’s rod. As can also be seen, it also came complete with the newest technological marvel… a plastic reel seat.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Doesn't seem much like anything different with actual rod design but more just rod grip design...

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I was going to guess that the cutouts in the grip (both on top and on bottom) would allow the butt of the rod to flex further into the grip area for whatever reason. But then they wrote this about the rod...

..." We are talking about rods with a Flex Profile of just under 1/2 (just under half the rod bends when moderately loaded), with smooth bending curves and relatively fast Recovery Speeds."

So if it's that fast (stiff) in the butt section, it wouldn't flex anywhere near the grip and into those cutouts.

It looks really uncomfortable to me, but then again I've never cast one.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
We need to send them an email and request a 6 wt beta test rod for beach fishing.
It can be the first item in the PNWFF gear program. Members use it for a trip or two, write a review and pass it on to another member to try it. 😉
SF

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I was going to guess that the cutouts in the grip (both on top and on bottom) would allow the butt of the rod to flex further into the grip area for whatever reason. But then they wrote this about the rod...

..." We are talking about rods with a Flex Profile of just under 1/2 (just under half the rod bends when moderately loaded), with smooth bending curves and relatively fast Recovery Speeds."

So if it's that fast (stiff) in the butt section, it wouldn't flex anywhere near the grip and into those cutouts.

It looks really uncomfortable to me, but then again I've never cast one.

The cutout allows you to wedge your cigarette in the grip. Works great for indicator fishing.