NFR idiot drivers...

Non-fishing related

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Drove my wife into Bend yesterday for a medical appt. Having just gone through a thaw /refreeze cycle after the last storm, roads had black ice warnings, and a light freezing rain had already begun to coat the hood, glad to be in the Forester with Cross Climate 2 tires.
Heading east on Murphy road, just under the speed limit, roads slick as hell, a late model Silverado comes up fast and begins doggin on our bumper, serving side to side, flashing high beams. Normally I just pull over for assholes, only nowhere to do so..piled frozen drifts on the sides have left the lanes minimal.
So we hit a straightaway, and the asshole suddenly turns into the other lane, rips past us, and as he turns to get back into our lane loses it, first whip sawing back and forth across both lanes, then breaks loose and starts spinning...several full spins, slams sideways into the frozen berm on our side, bounces off of that and slides across the road where it slams into that berm nose first and comes to a battered halt.
I'd slowed immediately when the fukkery began with emergency blinker on, incoming traffic had come to a dead halt, and was just pulling up even with the truck to see if the driver was ok when the door got kicked open and an obviously enraged middle aged driver jumps out and starts screaming and shaking his fist...at us.
At which point we resumed our drive at a sedate 30 mph.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Some time ago we had an idiot asshole doing the same thing...dogging us, inches behind our car...flashing his lights and swinging the front of his car back and forth. When I could I moved as far as possible to let the idiot get by, and he did so.....flipping us off ....and blasting right through a stop sign on a busy arterial.

What he didn't anticipate was running the stop sign right in front of a WSP trooper driving on the arterial, who had to brake hard to avoid a collision with the moron. Of course he immediately lit him up and pulled him over.

We cruised around the block on the next street several times....to enjoy the very satisfying spectacle of watching the driver being bent over the hood of his car, handcuffed, and being searched by a very irritated trooper while he held him by the scruff of his neck. Classic portrait of a loser dirtbag.

Last edited:

Stoneflywelding

Sometimes I go fishing.
Forum Supporter
Drove my wife into Bend yesterday for a medical appt. Having just gone through a thaw /refreeze cycle after the last storm, roads had black ice warnings, and a light freezing rain had already begun to coat the hood, glad to be in the Forester with Cross Climate 2 tires.
Heading east on Murphy road, just under the speed limit, roads slick as hell, a late model Silverado comes up fast and begins doggin on our bumper, serving side to side, flashing high beams. Normally I just pull over for assholes, only nowhere to do so..piled frozen drifts on the sides have left the lanes minimal.
So we hit a straightaway, and the asshole suddenly turns into the other lane, rips past us, and as he turns to get back into our lane loses it, first whip sawing back and forth across both lanes, then breaks loose and starts spinning...several full spins, slams sideways into the frozen berm on our side, bounces off of that and slides across the road where it slams into that berm nose first and comes to a battered halt.
I'd slowed immediately when the fukkery began with emergency blinker on, incoming traffic had come to a dead halt, and was just pulling up even with the truck to see if the driver was ok when the door got kicked open and an obviously enraged middle aged driver jumps out and starts screaming and shaking his fist...at us.
at least you got to witness his karma. I love when that happens. Glad no one got seriously hurt.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I would have simply rolled down my window and explained to him that it sucks to suck.

Glad you and your wife didn’t get bumped off the road!

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Some people's kids. Glad he didn't take you out on his way by.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds like justice was served in both cases. A long time ago we were going skiing in north Idaho and left the Tri Cities after work. There was fresh snow on the ground but the plowed roads had melted. As we headed north in my Subaru wagon, the road began to feel slick so I slowed down. Highway 395 was two lanes in those days and pretty soon a car came up behind and started tailgating me. I held my speed. The finally decided to pass and accelerated as they pulled into the oncoming lane. I looked in the rear view mirror and the car was spinning sideways and gaining on me. My friends in the car yelled to not hit the brakes. The car did several spins on the road and ended up on the shoulder. We kept going at our slower pace and had an epic powder weekend. I

Zak

Legend
One thing I don't miss about Vermont winters: When the right lane of the 2-lane Interstate has plowed and sanded/salted, the left lane has 3 inches of packed snow over ice on it, and someone in the right lane is going 40mph. You have a choice of staying in the long parade, or white-knuckling it by going for the pass.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Sounds like justice was served in both cases. A long time ago we were going skiing in north Idaho and left the Tri Cities after work. There was fresh snow on the ground but the plowed roads had melted. As we headed north in my Subaru wagon, the road began to feel slick so I slowed down. Highway 395 was two lanes in those days and pretty soon a car came up behind and started tailgating me. I held my speed. The finally decided to pass and accelerated as they pulled into the oncoming lane. I looked in the rear view mirror and the car was spinning sideways and gaining on me. My friends in the car yelled to not hit the brakes. The car did several spins on the road and ended up on the shoulder. We kept going at our slower pace and had an
epic powder weekend. I
On the way to Ski Mt Spokane we had a guy in a big jacked up 4WD pickup aggressively pass a string of vehicles at high speed. It's a narrow twisty two lane road, with a small creek (Deadman Creek) immediately below the shoulder.

A few minutes later we caught up with him...truck nose down in the shallow creek, standing on the road trying to flag us down. His vehicle wasn't even close to being submerged but he was hopelessly stuck. Not a one of us stopped to offer assistance to the dumbass.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have to admit - Chicago drivers are not too bad. The best part is that they're accustomed to winter weather, and of course the fact that there is no topography helps. But you have to be, if not aggressive, at least assertive downtown and expect that traffic on major arteries will travel at about 15-20 mph over the limit. The biggest threat to automotive safety seems to be the numerous white tail deer (not downtown!). God gave no animal fewer brains than the white tail. Wisconsin loses tens of thousands of deer per year in accidents, and still manages an annual harvest of over 50K.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I have to admit - Chicago drivers are not too bad. The best part is that they're accustomed to winter weather, and of course the fact that there is no topography helps. But you have to be, if not aggressive, at least assertive downtown and expect that traffic on major arteries will travel at about 15-20 mph over the limit. The biggest threat to automotive safety seems to be the numerous white tail deer (not downtown!). God gave no animal fewer brains than the white tail. Wisconsin loses tens of thousands of deer per year in accidents, and still manages an annual harvest of over 50K.
One thing I've noticed in most larger cities is that signaling for a lane change simply telegraphs your intentions...with the result of a driver aggressively preventing your access to your desired lane. Misery loves company.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
One thing I've noticed in most larger cities is that signaling for a lane change simply telegraphs your intentions...with the result of a driver aggressively preventing your access to your desired lane. Misery loves company.
Yes, and to prevent that, folks basically start the turn and turn on their signal at the same time.

The Fish Whisperer

Smolt
Forum Supporter
His last name must be Darwin............serves him right.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I know this started out as idiot drivers, but since we have a slippery road theme going here I'll throw my very nice buddy (not an idiot) under the bus.
Winter of 85-86, my buddy was driving me, my girlfriend and another dude in his mom's full-size station wagon. I think it's was an Olds or a Chevy.

We were headed up to Mt Hood to ski. I had never been since I was poor and played hoops. Coach said NO skiing. Well, senior year I somehow had enough $ and said I'm going skiing. ;) We had survived the trip down the Maryhill grade from Goldendale and were on WB I-84 in The Dalles when I felt the back end slip a couple times. I could tell he didn't even notice so told him to slow it down a bit. Not sure he believed me. I told him one more time and right then the back end went even further. Then we were in an all out fish tail back & forth until we went all the way around to a 180. There we were sliding down the freeway backwards, against the inside curb that stuck out below the guard rail, staring right at the semi bearing down on us. He had probably moved to the left lane to try to avoid us.
About the time we could see up the trucker's nose, the front wheels caught traction and were slung out of the way of the semi and slammed into the bank of an onramp. Somehow, not a scratch on the car. The bank did peel the back right tire off the rim enough that we had a flat. The tire was still on the rim somehow, but had gone flat. The radials in those days weren't great, but at least it didn't peel it all the way off.

My buddy was obviously freaked out. He was like "well, I guess I'll walk over to that shop and call my mom." Haha! I'm like "the hell you are! We're gonna change the tire and and go skiing!"

We made it safely up the mountain, they all got to watch me wipe out several times and we had a blast. And we made it safely home. He drove way slower and had a better appreciation for the conditions. He told his mom the tire just went flat. :LOL: