Ice Dub

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Anyone have any effective materials using this material? Any tips for dubbing with it? Most success I’ve had has been with dubbing loops.

1F687CDA-86B2-4B6E-B777-DFC4081FE7C6.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The UV hot orange works really well as gills behind the eyes if you tie baitfish patterns. I also like to dub it in right behind beads and cones.
I don’t use a loop myself when I use it. I just dub it onto the thread and go.
SF

IMG_3794.jpeg

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great material. I use it in many ways. A loop makes great bodies for steelhead stuff. I like insect green or shell pink on our behind a bead head on a bugger. You can make slender stuff as well. I likely own every colour ever made but the peacock black is a favourite and brings me much luck no matter the species and application.

Shad

Life of the Party
You can use ice dub for all dubbing applications, but I agree it works best with loops. When you hand dub it directly on thread, you have to keep twisting it every couple turns around the body to tighten it up, but it'll get you there.

I learned last week that wrapping a fat dubbing loop of ice dub around barbell eyes, then teasing out a bunch of the fibers makes a great sculpin head....

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You can use ice dub for all dubbing applications, but I agree it works best with loops. When you hand dub it directly on thread, you have to keep twisting it every couple turns around the body to tighten it up, but it'll get you there.

I learned last week that wrapping a fat dubbing loop of ice dub around barbell eyes, then teasing out a bunch of the fibers makes a great sculpin head....

I like it's ability to be picked out when used in a loop. Plus the durability is higher if you're roping multiple Chromers. Not much of an issue with steelhead ties lately but coho ties can get abused and of course we all know that one fly in the box is the only one that will with right now in this water. It's the only one. Even beaten and battered to the point of exhaustion it's what the fish want. These other hundred flies won't work. Even these half dozen identical patterns won't work. These two dozen variants to that pattern definitely won't work. Nope, there's just something about this one here. It's the only one. Shit! I'm snagged. Row the boat over there. I don't care if we spook the school. I need that magic fly back. Damnit, just do it! That's the only one we have like that!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
One of the reasons I don't use a loop is that I'm not that talented at tying. I’m also lazy. 😉
When I use it for bodies, I generally tend to palmer hackle or something else over it, which helps secure it in place, like on saltwater cutthroat flies.
I've come to like the shaggy look the flies start to get after teeth of multiple fish start to do their thing to it. So basically, I let the fish tease it out rather then myself.
I've had some of the orange ice dub from the gills on flies like the one I posted flow back more then halfway down the body after multiple fish chewed on them. They still continue to produce even in that ugly state.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've had some of the orange ice dub from the gills on flies like the one I posted flow back more then halfway down the body after multiple fish chewed on them. They still continue to produce even in that ugly state.
SF
Same thing happens with the hot spot on my trout flies. By the time the partridge hackle is gone the spot dubbing has veiled the front 1/2 or so of the fly, and they continue to catch fish. I like that effect also.

Flymph

Steelhead
It is my go-to dubbing for scuds, hot spots, caddis nymphs, may fly nymphs, and various Czech nymphs. I have not had any real issues dubbing because a little wax works just fine. It is great stuff to mix with other types of natural and synthetic dubbing to come up with shades that match the bugs you are fishing. I believe the UV shades are an added benefit especially for ties that are fished in off colored water and 10ft+ depths.

For me it's probably one of the greatest additions to fly tier needs since the introduction of Antron (sparkle) fibers. IMHO it is superior to Antron in many ways.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Dubbing loop/split thread…wrap thickly like spinning deer hair…trim for a muddled look.
Or…
Trim top n bottom for a leggy look.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One of the reasons I don't use a loop is that I'm not that talented at tying. I’m also lazy. 😉
When I use it for bodies, I generally tend to palmer hackle or something else over it, which helps secure it in place, like on saltwater cutthroat flies.
I've come to like the shaggy look the flies start to get after teeth of multiple fish start to do their thing to it. So basically, I let the fish tease it out rather then myself.
SF

You gotta get the right tool. I service mine with fine oils and Swiss bearings regularly. It's a pleasure to use. I even added a little weight to the handle for optimal feel and tension when hanging.

Shad

Life of the Party
SF
Give it a go. I'm far from a great tyer, and I agree it's too much effort for something like putting in gills, filling a gap, etc., but once you get used to using loops, it actually makes tying ideal, dubbed bodies easier than finger dubbing, IMO.

One great thing is that it's easy to shape dubbing into a tapered triangle, so that when you twist up the loop, you get a natural taper to the material, which results in a nice, even taper when you wrap the body. Also, you can adjust the thickness of your noodle once you start twisting, to achieve the thickness you want at various points in the body.

The other benefits I have found using loops with ice dub in particular are that you end up with a very durable body that lasts and that the twisting results in a lot of natural "bugginess" (fibers sticking out all over the place)....