I wonder

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Working through a donated desktop rebuild tonight and took a break to read through here. One of my favorite threads is What's in Your Vise due to the depth of talent on display.

Sitting back down to continue the forensics on this Dell, I'm wondering what would happen if we turned an AI loose with a properly set up 3D printer and told it to design the absolute ultimate fish catching fly pattern ever made.

What do you think would pop out ?

Zak

Legend

Ultimate Trout Fly Pattern​

Default (GPT-3.5)

Please provide a pattern for the ultimate trout fly

Creating the "ultimate" trout fly pattern can be subjective, as it depends on various factors such as the location, time of year, and specific trout species you're targeting. However, here's a basic pattern that works in many situations:
Dry Fly Pattern:
Materials:

• Hook: Size 14-18 dry fly hook
  • Thread: Olive or brown 6/0 or 8/0
  • Tail: Grizzly or brown hackle fibers
  • Body: Olive or brown dubbing
  • Wing: Elk or deer hair
  • Hackle: Grizzly or brown hackle
Instructions:
  1. Start by attaching your thread to the hook and create a thread base along the shank.
  2. Tie in a few hackle fibers as the tail, keeping them about the length of the hook shank.
  3. Dub a tapered body with olive or brown dubbing, leaving some space behind the eye of the hook.
  4. Prepare a small bunch of elk or deer hair and tie it in as a wing, making sure it extends slightly beyond the tail.
  5. Palmer a grizzly or brown hackle in front of the wing, creating a few wraps to form a collar.
  6. Trim any excess materials, whip finish, and add a drop of head cement to secure the thread wraps.
This pattern imitates various insects, making it versatile for dry fly fishing. Adjust the colors and sizes to match the local insect hatches and trout preferences. Remember that the "ultimate" trout fly can vary from one angler to another, so experimentation and local knowledge are key.

Zak

Legend

Ultimate Trout Fly Pattern​

Default (GPT-3.5)

Please provide a pattern for the ultimate trout fly

Creating the "ultimate" trout fly pattern can be subjective, as it depends on various factors such as the location, time of year, and specific trout species you're targeting. However, here's a basic pattern that works in many situations:
Dry Fly Pattern:
Materials:

• Hook: Size 14-18 dry fly hook
  • Thread: Olive or brown 6/0 or 8/0
  • Tail: Grizzly or brown hackle fibers
  • Body: Olive or brown dubbing
  • Wing: Elk or deer hair
  • Hackle: Grizzly or brown hackle
Instructions:
  1. Start by attaching your thread to the hook and create a thread base along the shank.
  2. Tie in a few hackle fibers as the tail, keeping them about the length of the hook shank.
  3. Dub a tapered body with olive or brown dubbing, leaving some space behind the eye of the hook.
  4. Prepare a small bunch of elk or deer hair and tie it in as a wing, making sure it extends slightly beyond the tail.
  5. Palmer a grizzly or brown hackle in front of the wing, creating a few wraps to form a collar.
  6. Trim any excess materials, whip finish, and add a drop of head cement to secure the thread wraps.
This pattern imitates various insects, making it versatile for dry fly fishing. Adjust the colors and sizes to match the local insect hatches and trout preferences. Remember that the "ultimate" trout fly can vary from one angler to another, so experimentation and local knowledge are key.
Not bad, except for the misuse of "palmer."

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Working through a donated desktop rebuild tonight and took a break to read through here. One of my favorite threads is What's in Your Vise due to the depth of talent on display.

Sitting back down to continue the forensics on this Dell, I'm wondering what would happen if we turned an AI loose with a properly set up 3D printer and told it to design the absolute ultimate fish catching fly pattern ever made.

Sodium phosphate enriched chartreuse nightcrawler

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Whatever fly might AI produced, I’d bet an Atlantic salmon and a pumpkin would both eat it.
SF

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Not bad, except for the misuse of "palmer."
Is that wrong? I guess I don’t know the difference between just wrapping hackle and palmering it.
So this dry fly is some generic buggy caddis-y emerger thing with natural materials. Sounds like a catcher.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Is that wrong? I guess I don’t know the difference between just wrapping hackle and palmering it.
So this dry fly is some generic buggy caddis-y emerger thing with natural materials. Sounds like a catcher.
I think palmering means leaving space between each wrap. I'll look it up and report back.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
palmer can be both

open spiral wraps - ie wooly bugger

Peacock-Crystal-Bugger-800.jpg

touching wraps - ie bivisibles

Black-White-Bivisible-1080.jpg

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

A Blob!

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

Nothing….