I Joined The Griddle Gang

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I used my cast iron griddle atop my gas grill last night, which i do pretty regularly. Question if you don’t mind…. What does a griddle get me over that? Im giessing higher heat and maybe portability?
I should add, it puts you in same boat. Like you mentioned you can run higher heat and the rolled steel griddles are a little lighter. But at same time you'll use less gas since you'll retain heat more and can run stove at a lower setting.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I know Jerry is being somewhat silly, but if you think about it, coupling your griddle with your grill gives you a great alternative cooking source in a blackout situation.

Russell

Steelhead
Also joined the gang. Was using a cast iron griddle over burners but came accross this at the goodwill with all the options for $12 . looks like it was used once.
Going to take it on a camping trip this weekend and would like some menue ideas for christening the grill.
1652843563625.png
1652843775309.png

Attachments

• 1652843605035.png
    1652843605035.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Also joined the gang. Was using a cast iron griddle over burners but came accross this at the goodwill with all the options for $12 . looks like it was used once.
Going to take it on a camping trip this weekend and would like some menue ideas for christening the grill.
View attachment 14628
View attachment 14630
received_1035045370776609.jpeg
If you were at my wine-food pairing demos last weekend you would've got some ideas. 😆

Fried rice, stir fry, street tacos, poor man's dinner, hell even steaks or burgers are all a good start. Then add breakfasts to that.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
The griddle is beautiful. Even this guy can make a decent meal on this thing.

001(19).HEIC

Russell

Steelhead
I had some old Amazon gift cards that needed to be used so I decided to do some portable griddle shopping while I'm 'buttbound' as I recuperate from a major surgery. This turned into an entire evening event as I researched and watched Youtube videos on alot of brands, Blackstone, Pit Boss, Camp Chef, etc.
In the end I chose this Royal Gourmet for 99$. What swayed me was three stainless burners with individual temp controls, the griddle itself seemed to be nonstick with out alot of dicking around, and it comes ready to hook up to a real propane bottle.
After reading many reviews the only thing of concern to me was that the grease drain hole on some units didn't line up exactly wit the hole to the grease cup,
something I think I could easily remedy. Another negative was that the cover that comes with it looks pretty cheesy, again a minor issue to me.

It should arrive Saturday so I'll give an update on the overall quality. Unfortunately my current soft food diet won't let me get too creative on the cooking end of things just yet.

Oh, any recommendations on griddle tools and recipe favorites appreciated.

Well, have you had a chance to use the griddle yet. Still waiting for review