I’m sorry but can anyone tell me what these are

Bagman

Steelhead
I found a rock in my front yard an saw what looked like bones locked in them as a nurd at 75 it really caught my eye anyone out here know any thing about these please help. It’s the white items that I think are bones that are of interested to me

Attachments

• 06E18560-ED70-42E7-9E7B-DBD7A6067E80.jpeg
    06E18560-ED70-42E7-9E7B-DBD7A6067E80.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 26EBCE73-07FB-4447-A4B0-65EE9BE514BD.jpeg
    26EBCE73-07FB-4447-A4B0-65EE9BE514BD.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 229
  • F1762339-0505-49A8-AF08-2D12F6067781.jpeg
    F1762339-0505-49A8-AF08-2D12F6067781.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 229

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Cool find Al. Sure looks like fossil bones but wish I knew more about the geology up your way. When we were on Marrowstone Island last week I was amazed at the variety of rocks on the beach.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In the center photo it does look like inclusions rather than veining. Any idea what the matrix is? Can you tell if it is sedimentary or something else?. Looks cool though....

Bagman

Steelhead
Cool find Al. Sure looks like fossil bones but wish I knew more about the geology up your way. When we were on Marrowstone Island last week I was amazed at the variety of rocks on the beach.
Guy there‘s a lot of rocks in the area around my house that have been galled in and just placed around the yard. There’s is no way I can tell which once were put here by man or nature.

Paul Voelker

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm kind of a rock hound myself and I've got lots of petrified wood, agates and others that I've collected and spread around my home. Just trying to confuse future archeologists when they dig up my place. There's a guy named Nick Zentner (Nick on the Rocks youtube) that is a geologist from CWU and he's a wealth of information. I'm sure you could send pics to him and he'd be able to help.

Bagman

Steelhead
As some of you know I’m new to the PNW, but I’m going to tell you what I’ve learned. The Puget Sound and the Hood Fjord were formed over 10,000 years and took 7 ice flows from up north and ran between the the Olympic Mts and the Cascade Mts down to about Sheldon. There’s no evidence that the ice flows ever topped the mts on either side. This may Explain why there are rocks laying around the woods next to me that really look out of place. Like this one. I’m going to try and get it out of the brush and check it a little closer.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
The Missoula floods were amazing too. Gouged up the landscape in eastern wa and deposited boulders from the Rockies 50 miles up the willamette valley.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Definitely fossilized Terry Dactyl.

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Clearly fossilized Sasquatch tibia. Duh!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Geologic and archaeological hoaxes over the years have lent a lot of interest to the scientific process. Some have been so wrong headed and bizarre that you wonder how anyone could subscribe to them yet some took on a life of their own. Some were well executed like the Piltdown Man. The Kensington Runestone is still debated 125 years later. The bottom line is that a number of things are susceptible to geologic interpretation and not all interpretations are agreed upon. A good controversy makes for interesting theater.

Anyone remember "The Search For Bridey Murphy"?

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Great sleuthing above by all. Rocks, fossils and petrified wood are tricky but I like to stay with a cool idea until convinced otherwise. I have often overlooked things that, in the end, actually were a fossil or a native american tool because I did not think big enough !

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
Hard to even tell the rock type from the photo but could be plagioclase crystal twins.