Hunting pictures

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
View attachment 93051
What a way to finish out the season, last day buck! I stumbled into a doe last year, but really wanted something different as the population here is still recovering from EHD and passed on a few. Still hunting is such an art and I have a long way to go - I blew so many opportunities and saw lots of tails. I'm oftly tired of getting up at 4:50am and getting out before work, but thankful I have the option. This buck means the world to me, its the culmination of whole lot of tenacity and hard work in the last year as a new-to-hunting-later-in-life individual. Cheers to all and thanks for the photos in this thread!

Congratulations! It sounds like you have put in the work and it has paid off.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
View attachment 93051
What a way to finish out the season, last day buck! I stumbled into a doe last year, but really wanted something different as the population here is still recovering from EHD and passed on a few. Still hunting is such an art and I have a long way to go - I blew so many opportunities and saw lots of tails. I'm oftly tired of getting up at 4:50am and getting out before work, but thankful I have the option. This buck means the world to me, its the culmination of whole lot of tenacity and hard work in the last year as a new-to-hunting-later-in-life individual. Cheers to all and thanks for the photos in this thread!
Beautiful whitetail!

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I was able to get away this morning to do a little duck hunting. I still can’t shoot worth a shit but it’s slowly improving. Had a fun morning!
IMG_6659.jpeg

Russell

Steelhead
My mothers father and family grew up on San Juan Island. My great grandfather worked at the bank in Friday harbor and one of the historical houses in Friday harbor he built. He was also into photography and we had many sets of glass slide negatives from back then. My mother recently brought the slides into the historical museum in Friday harbor and they had them all scanned to digital.
These were some of the pictures of my great grandfather and others with the deer they harvested on San Juan and Orcas. I have the head mount of one of these deer that he did the taxidermy on.
I thought these were pretty cool.
hunting4.jpghunting6.jpghunting5.jpghunting3.jpghunting2.jpghunting1.jpg

Last edited:

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
My mothers father and family grew up on San Juan Island. My great grandfather worked at the bank in Friday harbor and one of the historical houses in Friday harbor he built. He was also into photography and we had many sets of glass slides from back then. My mother recently brought the slides into the historical museum in Friday harbor and they had them all scanned to digital.
These were some of the pictures of my great grandfather and others with the deer they harvested on San Juan and Orcas. I have the head mount of one of these deer that he did the taxidermy on.
I thought these were pretty cool.
View attachment 94117View attachment 94118View attachment 94119View attachment 94120View attachment 94121View attachment 94122

Those are really cool pictures! Those lever action guns they're carrying are really cool as well. Do you know what year the pictures are from?

Russell

Steelhead
Those are really cool pictures! Those lever action guns they're carrying are really cool as well. Do you know what year the pictures are from?
I'm still waiting on the notes that were made for individual slides. Pre-20's? The lever action, 30-30, in the picture used to hang under the mount in my aunts house. Unfortunately it was stolen out of there garage years ago.

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
I'm still waiting on the notes that were made for individual slides. Pre-20's? The lever action, 30-30, in the picture used to hang under the mount in my aunts house. Unfortunately it was stolen out of there garage years ago.

Okay, the pictures look really old. I'm so sorry to hear that. That really would have been something to have and enjoy that 30-30. Do you happen to know if it was a Winchester or a Marlin?

Russell

Steelhead
Okay, the pictures look really old. I'm so sorry to hear that. That really would have been something to have and enjoy that 30-30. Do you happen to know if it was a Winchester or a Marlin?
It's been around 40 years since I saw that rifle. Always assumed it was a Winchester 94? Luckily I have a marlin model 39, not 39a, from the 20's that was his and a side by side 12ga that dates from the late 1890's that I take out and shoot every so often.

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
Wow, that's awesome. That model 39 must be amazing. Those are fairly hard to come by. I'm sure that 12ga is pretty nice. Your a lucky guy.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Trying to figure out this solo duck hunting business is pretty fun.had a good day on Thursday! Still wish I could shoot better…😂 I’m getting there slowly!

IMG_6667.jpeg