NFR Humor

Non-fishing related

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Total sidebar but since it was a shocker to me, FYI. I was just on a private photo safari in Tanzania. Most of us grew up seeing travelogues from Africa and they were nearly always driving Land Rovers. Not anymore. I saw probably 100s of safari vehicles (mostly pop tops), of which maybe 2 were LRs, and 1 Nissan. At least 95% were Toyotas. There are apparently 2 companies in Africa that buy Toyota diesel pickups, and covert them into either 6 or 8 passenger Cruisers, nearly all with pop tops, and every one of them with snorkels. Apparently the common joke among guides is: “Jeep? Stupid fucker! Land Rover? Stupid rich fucker!”.
Anyway, being a Toyota guy myself, I noticed.
Not to belabor the point, but before the Jeep and Rover guys get pissed, here’s my guess why. Obviously today the Toyota diesel pickup conversions rule this market. My slightly educated guess is that Toyota recognized the market, and flooded it with reasonably priced parts and availability. By definition almost, you’re on primitive roads at best, and as often driving without roads, depending on touring area. From what I gleaned, Rover parts are exorbitantly priced and scarce there, and by inference I’d guess Jeep is too. I’ve owned and enjoyed the crap out of a Jeep, and think Rovers are fairly deluxe if that blows your skirt. While all my life I wanted a 70s vintage Land Cruiser, an “old school” Defender always turns my head. Not the first time that Toyota nailed a market though.
Sorry for the spam.

Last edited:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I can relate. Pre-teens, running after a fly ball, I struck a monkey bar head on. Out cold for a while.
Jus might splain some things.
‘Course the bicycle header into a telephone pole might have factored in.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
new-rod-broke-in-a-new-way-v0-slrutlctpbrc1.jpg

Found a photo of a deer taking his revenge for all the clouser minnows we have tied